Co2 equipment questions for beginners.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LordPM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone.
We recently bought a 41 gallon Osaka tank for our living room. We would like to grow some plants that we've been told would require Co2 to truly appreciate them. (colored plants with pink and orange).

We've been looking around LFS for Co2 equipments but they seem very expansive. Even the guy at the LFS said we should be looking to buy them seperatly and build our own device or buy a used one to get better bang for the bucks. Thing is, we know nothing of the quality of those products out there and if some of them might be considered dangerous (a.k.a. what i hear from some Milwaukee regulators that seem to have leaks and unstability that leads to fish deaths).

If anyone out there has some examples of regulators / solenoid / valves and everything else needed at a decent price so that it doesn't end up being a 500-600$ bill like the LFS was trying to sell us. We are only beginners and would like to grow some plants, not be professional aquascapers by any means.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you very much.

P.S. Sorry for the bad english, it is not my main language.

Check Craigslist, i got a real good deal on a green leaf aqaurium regulator. They (in my opinion) are worth it.

Watched a couple videos on youtube about setting up a system.
Went in Ebay....got a great set up for about $40

Well mine is for a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon.
Not paintball set up but the one that mixes citric.
Im goin to use a defuser just cuz my tank is small enough but you can also use a reactor which wastes no co2.

With a reactor though its my understanding that theres not much room for error as far as the fish's health goes

https://youtu.be/1JzvfHO31Ug

Sounds good. I just dont like the fact that you cant turn it off at night with a diy.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. But we only want a pressurized Co2 system that is not DIY. It seems rather complex and the health of our fish is critical to us. We live in Canada / Quebec, so we are not too sure there is craiglist on here but i'll try to find a used one. Any brand i should avoid or ones i should look for that are known to be reliable?

Someone wants to sell me this used CO2 system for 150$ (CAD). Do you guys think this is a good deal or this is not a good product?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_CO2_System_500_Deluxe_(Standard_Bottles)_Refillable_with_Solenoid_Valve_CO2_Regulators_for_Aquariums-Red_Sea-RS2231-FICORE-vi.html

Thanks again gentlemen.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. But we only want a pressurized Co2 system that is not DIY. It seems rather complex and the health of our fish is critical to us. We live in Canada / Quebec, so we are not too sure there is craiglist on here but i'll try to find a used one. Any brand i should avoid or ones i should look for that are known to be reliable?

Thanks again gentlemen.
From what i heard AZOO is good for the price, Milwaukee are hit or miss so i cant say. I have a gla regulator and im happy with it but then again I got it for a good price. I dont think you have craigslist in Quebec but check ebay to see if you see anything and stay away from ista co2 brand, its expensive and horrible.

Ya ...at 41 gallons id go preasurized as well, like i said check ebay for sure.
Also there may be some luck to search out local aqua groups or coop in your area.
Craigs list is global as well as apps like "offer up".

Ok, great. Someone has offered us Red Sea Co2 System 500 Kit for 150$ CAD (which is about 100-110$ usd). Do you guys think this could be a good deal? It comes with a 3.5kg tank he said. He also said the check valve was from ADA and brand new and the diffuser too. Thanks gentlemen.

Red sea makes good quality equipment and a 3.5kg bottle of co2 will last you a while. Definitely check it out and make sure it works, tell him to show you how to use it. If you dont feel comfortable, just say no. lol

Ok so this is a good price from what we understand? We'll go check it out and ask him to explain to us how it works. Thank you very much gentlemen, much appreciated.

Ok so this is a good price from what we understand? We'll go check it out and ask him to explain to us how it works. Thank you very much gentlemen, much appreciated.
Youre welcome!

Someone wants to sell me this used CO2 system for 150$ (CAD). Do you guys think this is a good deal or this is not a good product?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_...s_for_Aquariums-Red_Sea-RS2231-FICORE-vi.html

Thanks again gentlemen.
There is Craigslist for Quebec. http://montreal.craigslist.ca/
It's just not as popular as Kijiji or lespac. Oh Quebec gonna be Quebec. :)

Anyways, I have been using the DIY Co2 kit that you mix citric acid and sodium bicarbonate. It works very well, but I got tired of refilling the mixture.

Anyways, you take a look at the co2 kit you found for 150$ or check out the DIY kit. As stated, the DIY kit does have a shut off valve and it is OK to shut off and pressure will stop to build up while the yeast co2 can't be shut off..

As long as it comes with the co2 bottle, its a good deal.

Back
Top Bottom