Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2005, 10:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

CO2 into canister intake......

I was wondering, Will injecting co2 into my canisters intake have any adverse effects on the aerobic bacteria that live there? ie Is it possible that they may be starved somewhat of O2?

TIA
Randy

Old 08-10-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

One of the possible drawbacks is locking your filter up. I've never had this happen to me but I've heard people say that injecting CO2 into your filter intake can sometimes result in the build-up of a gas bubble in the filter which breaks the pump vacuum and causes it to quit pumping water - not a good thing if you're not there to prime it again. Hopefully someone else can confirm this for me

Old 08-10-2005, 11:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Confirmed..It's just like running your pump dry..
Also, Im presuming your talking co2 from a cylinder, because diy co2 will just have the concoction sucked straight into the tank if the pump is powerfull enough, ultimatly breaking the seal on you intake tubing and sucking air, and causing the same problem.
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
DeFeKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok,

I think I'll go with a PVC/Ping-Pong ball reactor I was planning in the exhaust after the filter. Tried and true. I was just thinking of letting the impeller do the work for me. It is pressurized and will only be maybe a bubble or two per second.
Thanks guys and Travis, I really admire your plant work and will probably be hounding you in the near future!

Randy

Tags
canister, co2, intake

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com