CO2 rate and outgassing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Togliat

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been reading and searching the forums on CO2 for my tank and I am sure I missed some good posts, but I would appreciate any feedback you can provide on my question below:

Facts:
155g FW planted aquarium with Fluval FX5 canister filter running mechanical pad, carbon pad, and porous ceramic biological cylinders.
Running pressurized CO2 from a 10lb tank. Bubble rate was about 2-3 per second, just increased it to 4-5 bubbles per second.

I am also running two airstones at the other end of the tank from the FX5 return, about 60" away (5 foot long tank).

Therefore, there is plenty of surface agitation.

I have 20 Red tail rasbora, 7 cory catfish, 4 juvenile angels, 1 German Blue Ram, 1 clown plecostomus, 3 oto algae eaters.

(Yes, I got carried away and turned my serene, pastoral setting into a busy, thriving metropolis) LOL

I have a sand substrate, and a dozen low light plants. Tank has two T5HO lights and is very tall, > 24"...can't reach the bottom!
I dose with Seachem Flourish Excel and fert, about a capful or two daily (155g tank).
The plants are doing very well, so I guess my question is more academic than pragmatic in nature.

Question:
My PH remains at 7.6 despite the CO2 diffusion. Do you believe that I am losing CO2 due to outgassing from the fluval filter and airstones?
I don't know much about outgassing, so thanks for any info.

And yes, I plan to install a drop checker next week. I assume they work independent of size although I did see some categorized as "nano drop checkers."

Again, thanks for feedback on outgassing of CO2!

Tony

Talked to my LFS guy and we agreed that I should place my air pump on a timer for night time use.
My CO2 is on a timer for daytime use.
We shall see if this helps.

Well, there was a drop in PH over the last day or two, from 7.6 to 7.2
I will re-test to confirm the PH but it appears as if turning off the air stones during the day has made a difference.

Back
Top Bottom