CO2 Reactor Kit 200 and PM shutoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankGirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am thinking about getting a CO2 Reactor Kit 200 that Floridadriftwood.com offers for $50 US, for my 55gal. I like the fact that I don't have to do any plumbing and can just plug it in and go, and I also like that I can put it on a timer so it shuts off at night.

I am wondering if anyone has used one of these units, and also if there is danger of a leak while it is turned off at night. I have a T-valve in place with a plastic cap on one leg of the T so it acts as a pressure release, but I don't know how much pressure is likely to build up overnight.

I hesitate to do anything since right now my tank looks like a glass of champagne with the pearling, but I don't have any control over the CO2, so it changes right before I need to change out my mixture, and before the new mix gets rolling. (I know, I know, pressurized....I am just not into the expense and DIY project that would entail right now. The twins are 3 and are like a couple of chimps, and I run a business at home, so quick and easy has its appeal)

TIA

add more co2 generators to your system, staggered in time, so over a 3 week period, you're changing one of the 3, that way you'll always have a new one, a mature one and an old one - should help keep your production levels stable.

turning off the water pump to the reactor (if it's the one I remember seeing) might cause excessive co2 to build up inside the reactor, and when it switches back on, spiking your ph down, or at least, giving the reactor a hard time starting back up.

pressurized co2 is less DIY than the yeast method... esp with a 5lb gas tank and a small fish tank ... mine has been running on my 30 gallon since the end of july and the gauge has barely moved, keeping the PH set right at 7.0 ... with the co2 turned off (during water changes), it quickly climbs back up to 7.8-8.0 range

turning off the water pump to the reactor (if it's the one I remember seeing) might cause excessive co2 to build up inside the reactor, and when it switches back on, spiking your ph down, or at least, giving the reactor a hard time starting back up.
This is my concern.

with the co2 turned off (during water changes), it quickly climbs back up to 7.8-8.0 range
Well, that is about what I go through when I change out my yeast mixture. That is a good idea though to stagger the mixtures. I have two vessels so I don't know why I never thought to stagger them!

It is going to be cheaper right now for me to get the Reactor Kit 200 than to get a pressurized system, so I will probably do that, but leave it on 24/7, and maybe I can convince dear husband to get me a pressurized system for my birthday :wink:

Thanks for your help-

Back
Top Bottom