Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

CO2 tank empty in less than a day?

So i recently added a pressurized co2 system to my 55 gal planted tank. The first time filled the tank it lasted about a week and i just refilled it and was gone in a few hours.... I'm not sure whats happening to it but there must be something wrong. The tank is a 20oz paintball tank with an adapter from aquatek. The regulator is a dual gauge aquatek w/ solenoid. From the regulator there is an inline bubble counter outside of the tank and a aquatek diffuser close to the bottom of the tank.

When i first set it up the co2 came out the side of the regulator body through what appears to be a plug of some sort... I'm not really sure what it is or does but tightening it seemed to fix the leaking sound. Do you think this may be the reason it is leaking? The working pressure can't be adjusted on my regulator but it did drop after i tightened that screw... Has anyone had a problem like this or know what might be going on??

The screw i tightened

The regulator

The adaptor

Old 03-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Air leaks would be a cause of loss of gas..

Old 03-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'll head to the store and refill the tank today so i can check for leaks with soapy water. I just read on a paintball forum that the paintball o-rings should have oil on them to seal properly and be replaced after every use. I'll try those things and let you know what happens.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So with the new o-ring on and oiled and everything tightened it doesn't seem to be leaking with the soap test or the bucket of water test so i think it may be working fine now.

The psi of the tank rose to almost 1500 psi while it was in the bucket of water and then fell again to around 900 when i took it back out, is that normal? The water was around room temperature.

Tags
co2, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com