CO2 tank temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inwu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to this hobby and have a question regarding how to control CO2 tank temperature. I live in California the and outside temperature can go up to 100 degree during the summer. I am wondering if there's a easy way to keep the tank cool without turning on the A/C?

pressurized tank? dont think it matters how hot or cold it gets with in reason.

Maybe I am too conservative about the CO2 tank safety! you can take a look at the link :
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ote=1&p=478332

It give me an impression that I should keep the tank below 80 degree! I am a woodworking guy and I know how much power I can get from just 150psi. But we are talking about 1000psi!! Just the though itself makes me nervous! Am I worry to much? BTW, do you ever have a room temperature of 90 degree?

your link doesnt work. yes though not often a lot closer to the beach then you. lol

I live in Alberta and the temp in my south facing apartment goes up to 90 or better on a good hot day.
There is no need to worry about your CO2 tank, it will hold a lot more pressure than the CO2 can create and as you were told on the other site, there is a blow-off valve to prevent explosion.

I lived Calgary for a few yrs do they still get snow in june?

Although temp will increase the pressure inside the tank, there are a few things that will give you some comfort:

1. The tanks are over-engineered - as the article states. I don't know about CO2 tanks for fire extinguishers, soda machines, etc. But in hospital settings, the CO2 & O2 tanks are one & the same, they are differentiated by the threading on the neck so only a specific regulator will fit. At any rate, the tanks are rated at over 2000 psi (O2 tanks operates at 1600 psi). This is far higher than what the CO2 will reach with normal ambient pressure. <There should be a DOT number stamped on your tank. There should be a max. temp rating in that number. So you can sleep at night, you might just check the number & make sure it is higher than the max CO2 pressure.>

2. Most tanks have a pressure relief valve to prevent catastrophic failure.

Back
Top Bottom