Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Cobalt 4 stage canister filter

May be someone has done what I was thinking or has a clue if this may work or not ..

I have a Cobalt 4 stage canister filter with a external inline pump, it is submerged in the tank like recommended on the intake side ,
I get very little water flow out of the return , at first I thought the hoses were clogged .
my question is this if I added a second inline pump and put it on the return side would this give me a better water flow out of the return with out starving the canister or over work either pump ??

thanks for your input as pumps and plumbing are my weak spot

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'd love to hear from some-one that has made this work. I don't think I've been quite convinced on running two pumps in-line without a break from what I have read.

When we had the hobby farm, we were always told to have a holding tank between pumps but this may have been different pumps or that our pumps were very different flow rates.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

both pumps are going to be identical Cobalt EXT800 inline pump says max flow 210gph I think maybe more like 75 gph as weak as it is
right now the flow coming out of the return is like shooting a water pistol , thin weak stream
Old 07-12-2016, 10:54 PM   #4
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

got a second pump fingers crossed it will work , but first I need to add a set of ball valves
to make life easier cleaning out the canister,

Tags
age, canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com