Cobalt Neo-therm experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linwood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a Cobalt Neotherm 200w and it worked perfectly (almost). I needed to heat treat ich, and raised it 10 degrees, it went up smoothly and almost perfectly (I am checking the temperature with a calibrated thermometer). Very nice.

It has a ring of LED's for display. one of the (at 80 degrees) was out. I emailed the company, they said "send it back". I can't, it is my only heater, I told them that and thought that was the end of it.

They offered to send me a new one if I would use a credit card as security until I sent mine back. Wow... that's very accommodating. But wait...

They were out of 200W units. So (I think) will just have to wait. But then they pro-actively offered to swap two 100W units for my 200W. Seemed very good to me, 100W is normally plenty for my tank (circa 5 degree heat normally in 45 G). Would have either a spare, or an in-tank backup. I said sure. (They would also have sent me a 200W when they had some).

Two days later they show up at my door.

Now THAT is service that goes above and beyond. I'm testing each now to make sure it is accurate (first blush indicate is they are -- they all show the same current temperature in the tank).

I am very impressed. I'm so used to rigid, unhelpful manufacturers, this is a very, very nice response.

Oh... and they paid the freight both ways.

I am new to aquariums, but old to electronics and being disappointed in what I buy. It's so rare to be pleasantly surprised I thought it was worth commenting.

I don't know about all the other heaters out there, but I know I am now very fond of Cobalt.

PS. It was also strongly recommended by my quite knowledgeable LFS, which is how I ended up with it. I probably would have gotten 100W at the time but they only had a 200W.

Wait so you ended up with 2 100w heaters AND a 200w heater? I really wish they made a 250 or 300w heater, and I wish the display was digital, like every degree but I guess every 2 degrees is ok.

I got there EXT canister filter and it's pretty cool, to clean you turn down the flow all the way and the valve just pops off bypassing the canister with the intake going strait to the out and then u take the jug of filters and water to the sink clean in and then stick the valve back on and turn in and its a filter again.

Wait so you ended up with 2 100w heaters AND a 2w heater? I really wish they made a 250 or 300w heater, and I wish they display was digital, like every degree but I guess every 2 degrees is ok.

No, no... I returned the 200W heater. But I still felt very lucky by their offer.

I really want to try them but I can't really afford to just "try" stuff lol I have a 150 gallon with 1 300 glass aqueon heater in it that I want to ditch. I hate the little dials I can never get them to the temp I want.

I wonder if 2 200w's would cut it?

I really want to try them but I can't really afford to just "try" stuff lol I have a 150 gallon with 1 300 glass aqueon heater in it that I want to ditch. I hate the little dials I can never get them to the temp I want.

I wonder if 2 200w's would cut it?

If one 300 does, two 200's will. It really is just the math, two is twice the heat.

The other nice thing is that it is unlikely that 200's can fry your fish if one ever ran amok. I've read of a lot of people that prefer more heaters, which are individually marginal, for just that reason -- so a run-away does little harm.

If one 300 does, two 200's will. It really is just the math, two is twice the heat.

The other nice thing is that it is unlikely that 200's can fry your fish if one ever ran amok. I've read of a lot of people that prefer more heaters, which are individually marginal, for just that reason -- so a run-away does little harm.
well technically a 300w is only for like 90-100 gallon and I was going to run 2 250w aqueon pros but i don't like the dial or 2 300w titanium heaters.

well technically a 300w is only for like 90-100 gallon and I was going to run 2 250w aqueon pros but i don't like the dial or 2 300w titanium heaters.

Sorry, I know nothing really about sizing (and temperature drop is at least as important as size). Just sharing that I was very pleased with their customer support. And with the units --I like their appearance, and that they appear like a single solid flat bar - nothing moves if you shake it, I assume it's a solid resin of some sort internally throughout. I keep a black background on the tank and so the color makes it less noticeable.

But I have no experience with other manufacturers' heaters, so no basis to say if these are better or not. It was the reaction when one had a problem that impressed me.

But I have no experience with other manufacturers' heaters, so no basis to say if these are better or not. It was the reaction when one had a problem that impressed me.
Yeah me to, most if not all heater companies besides maybe eheim only have a 6month warranty and from reviews it seems something like 10% of glass and titanium heaters fail in a year. My E200 has been solid and I really like heaters with external temp sensors but the non glass and 3 year warranty make me really like the cobalt and the fact that they will send you a new one and not make you send yours in, which is pretty pointless because you would have to buy a new one anyway.

Back
Top Bottom