Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

[QUOTE=kdpuffer;1780494] I would do a tank with no plants or fake plants as lighting will be an issue.QUOTE]

Definetely agree! Plants will need to be maintained and could easily over take your tank making it not as much fun to watch your fish. Looking down at planted tanks is nothing like viewing them through the side.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah all of the plants and things in this tank will be fake. and i like the idea of some kind of strip light to run around the edges. i think that would work pretty well. don't really like the idea of lighting it from the bottom.

have a link to any lights that might work?

HPballer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPballer76 View Post
yeah all of the plants and things in this tank will be fake. and i like the idea of some kind of strip light to run around the edges. i think that would work pretty well. don't really like the idea of lighting it from the bottom.

have a link to any lights that might work?
If the strip lighting would work, you could use the dark substrate! That'd be awesome! I can't wait to see what you do with your tank!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Something like these

http://m.alibaba.com/products/12v_le...ope_light.html
Old 02-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmm those may work. the only problem i could see would be that the light looks like it goes through both sides of the rope? i would only want it going into the tank.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

im thinking something like this could work and not look to bad stuck to the bottom of the glass.
Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: ecoxotic Stunner LED Strip
Old 02-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

tank measures 37" long, 20" wide in the middle, 6" wide at the ends, and 10" high.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

What does the tank have for a top? I assume it is a glass top, if that is the case a little handy man work might be in order to mount those strip lights. I think they would be nice for that tank its a matter of how to mount them. I'm thinking if you made some sort of bracket so they can hand outside the tank on the middle long straight pieces facing in and down, if you tinker with the angle a bit you could keep it shining into the tank and having one on either side should provide nice coverage. Mounting them in the tank could pose an issue with humidity and laying them on the top would take up coffee table space. This is a really cool tank and I have personally thought of having one myself so I am anxious to see what you come up with. I'm not sure what sort of over hang the top has but if it has a couple inches you could do the lighting on the outside as I suggested. If it were my tank it would be going in my home theatre room and I would tint the top (Mylar tint on the topside to avoid contamination) then I would do water proof rope lighting (most likely white to maximize the amount of light given off) around the perimeter on the outside top edge of the tank, with a couple inches of overhang on the top it would limit light coming through the top and make for awesome accent lighting. Depending on light penetration into the tank I may consider making a deflector or putting a layer of aluminum tape (used to seal ducts) around the perimeter of the top to deflect light down. One could also use the aluminum tape directly on the rope lighting to direct light, put two layers on with the sticky sides together having the top out layer slightly larger than the under layer. Keep in mind I've never done this I'm just trying to throw out ideas on how to cheaply do this while maintaining some sort of cosmetic appearance. I think either the rope lighting or the led strips would be the best route other than that it's a personal choice.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Grrrrr I just wrote a novel of a reply and it timed out and I lost it all lol. I'll try again on my computer later. This thread has me pondering how I can do a coffee table tank, I'm thinking of a huge one to accommodate my frontosas, like 150g. Something like 6-7 feet by 3-3 1/2 feet by 20 inches.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

And now it shows my post grrrrr. I just had another thought, what about building nice wooden stand (small and low profile) that has a cabinet at one or both ends then you can add a canister filter and house it in the end.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com