coffee table tank. what should i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm going to post some pics of my coffee table tank. i first purchased a tank like you have but didn't like the idea of the light at the bottom of the tank shining up. the tank had glass gravel so the light would shine through the glass. i'll post a picture of the tank.

this is the tank you have.
Coffee Table Aquarium Fish Tank Cool Rec Room Furniture | eBay
this is the tank i got.
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - jpchin's Album: Freshwater - Picture

to me this looks more like a coffee table and everything is built in so there is only one cord leading from the table. also has built in filter with 2 power heads and heater. lighting isn't that great (only 48 watts) but enough to grow lots of plants (low light). there are 5 toggle switches that turn on the lights, heater, and 2 power heads. the tank is 12-13" deep and the great thing is it's 56" long so the fish have lots of vertical swimming room. down side is because it's not very deep can't do discus, angels or any fish that grows horizontally. i love the tank. easy to work on because it's not that deep. easy to take care of plants and cleaning gravel is easy also. just lift off the glass top and everything is open. :)

forgot to say the light that comes with your tank is meant to be placed under the tank on the floor. then it shines through the bottom of the tank and through the glass gravel. it looks like the gravel you're showing with your tank is regular gravel so the light would have a difficult time getting through.

thanks for the ideas kd. i may do the rope light around the sides. not to sure yet. it is a glass top and the rest is acrylic. it isn't completely sealed there a cut outs all the way around the tank so i don't think humidity will be a problem.

jp thank you for posting those! makes me feel much better about what i paid for this. i actually kind of like the look of the light shining through the glass gravel. i may do that just to keep things simple.

i liked the aquarium concept but also decided i wanted a larger tank. the one i have is 45 gal. and the one you have is about 25gal. to operate the light you need an extension cord to plug into the light fixture. you can order glass gravel on the internet. just google glass gravel. there's a ton to choose from. if you want to work the light under the tank then you really need glass gravel so the light can shine through i wouldn't use the glass stones because they are very expensive and you can't use a gravel cleaner with them. my aunt uses them and she has to take them out every six months and clean them. a real pain.glad you got a deal on the tank. that helps pay for the few extras you have to purchase. good luck! :)

Thanks I will look it up! And yeah I think I will run a powerstrip under the tank that way only one cord comes out to the wall. I don't mind the size. Already have a 70 gallon salt tank lol. This is just something cool for the living room. I mainly bought it cause I got it for $50 so I figured it was worth it even if I just use it for a table lol

that's a great deal! i know you'll like it when it's set up. it's really a conversation piece. when people see mine they're pretty surprised! it's the only tank i have now. maybe another one sometime. although i like the easy care of only one. please post a picture when you get it set up. i'd love to see it.

i definitely will post pics. leak testing it right now. i have been searching online for glass gravel and i'm not having much luck? anyone know where i can get some?

also it is 25 gallons.

Yeah I saw that site. Kind of pricy but may end up ordering some. Anyone have any idea on how many lbs I will need?

Also had another idea. What do you guys think about adding one of those led bubble wands? That might give it some more light and a cool effect.

Indoor Waterfalls and Aquariums for Interior Design -- 680 Stretched Octagon Aquarium Coffee Table from Midwest Tropical Custom Water Features

here's a link to the company that made your aquarium. if you call them they might be able to sell you some of the aquarium glass for a bit cheaper. when i was going to get this aquarium i called them several times and they were very nice. if you explain that you bought it and the glass gravel was missing they might sell youj some and they'll know how much you need.

Wow... $900. I'm assuming this way a used tank... so, I hope you got an awesome deal on it!

That LED lights will look nice on it. Especially if you go with blue glass substrate.

Back
Top Bottom