coffee table tank. what should i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HPballer76

Aquarium Advice Freak
i picked this up today. pretty much just the bare tank. has some kind of light but no power cord for it lol.

img_1778960_0_53eef6761e769bb5a9abdbbb2a08d299.jpg

so my question is. what should i put in it? what should i do as far as filtration goes? i think im pretty much stuck to internal filtration. how should i light it? im open to all suggestions. i only have my one salt tank but i'm figuring this will need to be fresh water to keep things clean and simple.

no one has any ideas? i think it is around 30 gallons or so. will measure it today and figure out exactly what it holds.

would one of this work for filtration?

Aquarium Filters: Whisper In-Tank Filters

Aquarium Filters & Water Quality: Current SubCurrent Internal Wet/Dry Filter

Aquarium Filters: Fluval U-Series Underwater Filters from Hagen at fosterandsmithaquatics.com

anyone have ideas for lighting or substrate? i'm assuming i should light it from the bottom and have some kind of clear substrate?

Well, I personally don't like Whisper filters. Never had good experience with them.

My friend has one of those Fluval U filters and it's been running great for him for the last six months or so. So, maybe get one of those? I would wait for you to figure out the exact gallonage before you pick up a filter though.

yeah the fluval filters looked pretty nice. kind of pricey but nice looking. and yeah i won't be getting anything for this till i figure out the exact size and even then it will probably be a couple weeks before i start on this. just trying to figure out everything for it.

It is such an odd shape, so it would be hard to convert it through an equation. So, just get 5g jugs and keep pouring in until it's filled.

I think this would be best stocked with top dwellers like hatchetfish. You could really appreciate them. Or maybe a fish that's more rounded or horizontally flattened, so that you could see more of their coloration.

After reading countless reviews, Fluval seems to be less hassel then Whisper filters. I am going to be ditching my HOB Whisper for a Fluval canister. But, of course, your tank will need something internal to keep the "sleek" coffee table look happening.
I can't wait to see what types of fish you are thinking about! The fish are the best part! If I had a coffee table tank I would totally do dark sandy substrate with some awesome shells and rocks with some cichlids for sure! I would love that!!! Cichlids are so personal they would be quite entertaining.

good idea with the 5g jugs. ill do that this weekend when i leak test it.

i have no idea what kind of fish i want to do. i only have a saltwater tank and don't have much experience with freshwater so no clue on stocking. i was almost thinking of some kind of puffer?

lovin fish i would like to do a dark substrate the only problem is from what i have been reading coffee table tanks normally have the light under them. which means the substrate needs to be transparent so light gets through.

good idea with the 5g jugs. ill do that this weekend when i leak test it.

i have no idea what kind of fish i want to do. i only have a saltwater tank and don't have much experience with freshwater so no clue on stocking. i was almost thinking of some kind of puffer?

lovin fish i would like to do a dark substrate the only problem is from what i have been reading coffee table tanks normally have the light under them. which means the substrate needs to be transparent so light gets through.

Oh! I did not know that! I should have though :facepalm: Common sense right? :oops:

Here is a tank calculation site that I have used many times over. Hopefully your measurements are listed.
Chart of Tank Sizes

And here is 2 pages of puffer fish types. Check them out!
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/kb.php?t=ps&s=puffer+fish&p=1

Last edited:
I agree that a dark substrate would be best, volume of tank would help with stocking as well as some dimensions. I would do a tank with no plants or fake plants as lighting will be an issue. Ambient lighting in the room would probably suffice but personally I would want more. I am thinking a water tight rope lighting run around the perimeter at the top of the tank. Can be mounted with suction cups or with hooks for hanging Christmas lights, the hooks might work best as they won't let go on you. Nice tank and looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Dwarf Cichlids are pretty fun fish. They swim all over the tank and some are quite colorful! They are very interesting with the ability to swim backwards, straight up, straight down, stopping in mid-water in any position, and they recognize their owners and enjoy being viewed. As long as they are kept in a tank that allows them to be "free" without having to hide from aggressive fish, they will happily explore all areas of the tank at all times!

Here is a great spot to research fish. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/kb.php
Here is the Dwarf fish group where you'll see lots of dwarf cichlids: Just browse the pictures and click on the ones you like!
Knowledge Base - Seriously Fish
And here is one more spot for you: http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Internet_sources.php
I hope you enjoy browsing!

I'm editing this again LOL! I found a puffer spot for you.
http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/brackish_water/puffer_figure_eight.htm

Last edited:
I would do a tank with no plants or fake plants as lighting will be an issue.QUOTE]

Definetely agree! Plants will need to be maintained and could easily over take your tank making it not as much fun to watch your fish. Looking down at planted tanks is nothing like viewing them through the side.

yeah all of the plants and things in this tank will be fake. and i like the idea of some kind of strip light to run around the edges. i think that would work pretty well. don't really like the idea of lighting it from the bottom.

have a link to any lights that might work?

yeah all of the plants and things in this tank will be fake. and i like the idea of some kind of strip light to run around the edges. i think that would work pretty well. don't really like the idea of lighting it from the bottom.

have a link to any lights that might work?

If the strip lighting would work, you could use the dark substrate! That'd be awesome! I can't wait to see what you do with your tank! :)

hmm those may work. the only problem i could see would be that the light looks like it goes through both sides of the rope? i would only want it going into the tank.

What does the tank have for a top? I assume it is a glass top, if that is the case a little handy man work might be in order to mount those strip lights. I think they would be nice for that tank its a matter of how to mount them. I'm thinking if you made some sort of bracket so they can hand outside the tank on the middle long straight pieces facing in and down, if you tinker with the angle a bit you could keep it shining into the tank and having one on either side should provide nice coverage. Mounting them in the tank could pose an issue with humidity and laying them on the top would take up coffee table space. This is a really cool tank and I have personally thought of having one myself so I am anxious to see what you come up with. I'm not sure what sort of over hang the top has but if it has a couple inches you could do the lighting on the outside as I suggested. If it were my tank it would be going in my home theatre room and I would tint the top (Mylar tint on the topside to avoid contamination) then I would do water proof rope lighting (most likely white to maximize the amount of light given off) around the perimeter on the outside top edge of the tank, with a couple inches of overhang on the top it would limit light coming through the top and make for awesome accent lighting. Depending on light penetration into the tank I may consider making a deflector or putting a layer of aluminum tape (used to seal ducts) around the perimeter of the top to deflect light down. One could also use the aluminum tape directly on the rope lighting to direct light, put two layers on with the sticky sides together having the top out layer slightly larger than the under layer. Keep in mind I've never done this I'm just trying to throw out ideas on how to cheaply do this while maintaining some sort of cosmetic appearance. I think either the rope lighting or the led strips would be the best route other than that it's a personal choice.

Grrrrr I just wrote a novel of a reply and it timed out and I lost it all lol. I'll try again on my computer later. This thread has me pondering how I can do a coffee table tank, I'm thinking of a huge one to accommodate my frontosas, like 150g. Something like 6-7 feet by 3-3 1/2 feet by 20 inches.

And now it shows my post grrrrr. I just had another thought, what about building nice wooden stand (small and low profile) that has a cabinet at one or both ends then you can add a canister filter and house it in the end.

Back
Top Bottom