Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

coffee table tank. what should i do?

i picked this up today. pretty much just the bare tank. has some kind of light but no power cord for it lol.

so my question is. what should i put in it? what should i do as far as filtration goes? i think im pretty much stuck to internal filtration. how should i light it? im open to all suggestions. i only have my one salt tank but i'm figuring this will need to be fresh water to keep things clean and simple.

HPballer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

no one has any ideas? i think it is around 30 gallons or so. will measure it today and figure out exactly what it holds.

would one of this work for filtration?

Aquarium Filters: Whisper In-Tank Filters

Aquarium Filters & Water Quality: Current SubCurrent Internal Wet/Dry Filter

Aquarium Filters: Fluval U-Series Underwater Filters from Hagen at fosterandsmithaquatics.com

anyone have ideas for lighting or substrate? i'm assuming i should light it from the bottom and have some kind of clear substrate?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I personally don't like Whisper filters. Never had good experience with them.

My friend has one of those Fluval U filters and it's been running great for him for the last six months or so. So, maybe get one of those? I would wait for you to figure out the exact gallonage before you pick up a filter though.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah the fluval filters looked pretty nice. kind of pricey but nice looking. and yeah i won't be getting anything for this till i figure out the exact size and even then it will probably be a couple weeks before i start on this. just trying to figure out everything for it.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is such an odd shape, so it would be hard to convert it through an equation. So, just get 5g jugs and keep pouring in until it's filled.

I think this would be best stocked with top dwellers like hatchetfish. You could really appreciate them. Or maybe a fish that's more rounded or horizontally flattened, so that you could see more of their coloration.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

After reading countless reviews, Fluval seems to be less hassel then Whisper filters. I am going to be ditching my HOB Whisper for a Fluval canister. But, of course, your tank will need something internal to keep the "sleek" coffee table look happening.
I can't wait to see what types of fish you are thinking about! The fish are the best part! If I had a coffee table tank I would totally do dark sandy substrate with some awesome shells and rocks with some cichlids for sure! I would love that!!! Cichlids are so personal they would be quite entertaining.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

good idea with the 5g jugs. ill do that this weekend when i leak test it.

i have no idea what kind of fish i want to do. i only have a saltwater tank and don't have much experience with freshwater so no clue on stocking. i was almost thinking of some kind of puffer?

lovin fish i would like to do a dark substrate the only problem is from what i have been reading coffee table tanks normally have the light under them. which means the substrate needs to be transparent so light gets through.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPballer76 View Post
good idea with the 5g jugs. ill do that this weekend when i leak test it.

i have no idea what kind of fish i want to do. i only have a saltwater tank and don't have much experience with freshwater so no clue on stocking. i was almost thinking of some kind of puffer?

lovin fish i would like to do a dark substrate the only problem is from what i have been reading coffee table tanks normally have the light under them. which means the substrate needs to be transparent so light gets through.

Oh! I did not know that! I should have though Common sense right?

Here is a tank calculation site that I have used many times over. Hopefully your measurements are listed.
Chart of Tank Sizes

And here is 2 pages of puffer fish types. Check them out!
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/kb.php?...uffer+fish&p=1
Old 02-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I agree that a dark substrate would be best, volume of tank would help with stocking as well as some dimensions. I would do a tank with no plants or fake plants as lighting will be an issue. Ambient lighting in the room would probably suffice but personally I would want more. I am thinking a water tight rope lighting run around the perimeter at the top of the tank. Can be mounted with suction cups or with hooks for hanging Christmas lights, the hooks might work best as they won't let go on you. Nice tank and looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dwarf Cichlids are pretty fun fish. They swim all over the tank and some are quite colorful! They are very interesting with the ability to swim backwards, straight up, straight down, stopping in mid-water in any position, and they recognize their owners and enjoy being viewed. As long as they are kept in a tank that allows them to be "free" without having to hide from aggressive fish, they will happily explore all areas of the tank at all times!

Here is a great spot to research fish. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/kb.php
Here is the Dwarf fish group where you'll see lots of dwarf cichlids: Just browse the pictures and click on the ones you like!
Knowledge Base - Seriously Fish
And here is one more spot for you: http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Internet_sources.php
I hope you enjoy browsing!

I'm editing this again LOL! I found a puffer spot for you.
http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_...gure_eight.htm

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com