Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why not get an agricultural tank (250 gallons) drop a pump in there and put it outside?
Quick craigslist search. This is great, fda approved and cheaper than a barrel on wheels!! Gravity fed so no pump needed. http://hartford.craigslist.org/grd/4834627570.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 01-25-2015, 12:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Why not get an agricultural tank (250 gallons) drop a pump in there and put it outside?
Two related reasons. (1) down here, one's yard is defined as three feet of grass, and (2) I'm married and can't get any outside storage approved.

Well, and (3) Divorce is expensive.

Seriously, I've walked the house and yard and there's just no permanent storage that would be acceptable. When I moved here, I wanted a pad mounted generator (it's hurricane country), and found the house was built so close to the property lines in all directions I could not get one, period. So I have one on wheels I roll out (and THAT space in the garage was difficult enough to find).

I miss my little horse farm.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ooooo!!! Do you have exposed cielings joists in the garage??

Old 01-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Ooooo!!! Do you have exposed cielings joists in the garage??
The garage ceiling is already home to five having bikes (I don't ride bikes -- some day I'll understand why the only other occupant in the house needs five), and in the one place deep enough I hang the 65 gallon ag tank I also use for water (hang on a hoist -- I don't fill it there).

I've thought of putting a tank in some corner -- a flat tank hanging on wire rack -- and actually filling it, but am a bit concerned about putting too much weight on the bottom of trusses -- I understand they can carry a huge load (we have concrete roof tiles), but pulling down on the bottom is not quite the same as loading up the top, and I think I skilled that day in statics.

Besides -- there's another "outside" issue. I make the water outside by the pool so the waste goes into it. In the summer the water is about 10 degrees too hot, which is a bigger pain to deal with prior to going into the tank than when it's too cold (I have a heater I just dunk in the tank while mixing). Not impossible, and if I had a really good outdoor solution I'd figure something out, but it just reduces the attractiveness.

What I do now is really not that bad -- I carry out the RODI and set it next to the pool and it takes anywhere from half a day to 2+ days to make enough water depending on whether I'm doing a partial or massive water change and in how many tanks. It's the holding capacity that was a problem.

The trash cans nest, and I can store all the hoses, etc. inside of them, and stash that in my clothes closet over near my long sleeve shirts, real shoes, and long pants I also never use in Florida. At least that's the plan at this moment. I had hoped the collapsible ones would mean less wasted space for storage, but I think I'm done for now (well, I need to go finish the dolly before the holding tank fills so I can try the first one on the dolly).
Old 01-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Interesting about tds and brute barrels, i use one. How much we talking here? How long would water sit in there?

This got worse and worse with age. When I got rid of them, I could have the water at 30 TDS when I went to bed and have it be 50 in the morning. I have heard containers get better about that with age, so maybe I didn't have them long enough. I only had them about 6 months.

I would get a collapsible rain barrel or something like you suggested, but keep it outside and use a delivery pump. I definitely wouldn't trust one anywhere but in my basement. You can make your water outside, pump the water out of the tanks, then move the pump to the other side and pump your new water back in. I do something sort of like this for my personal tanks that are in living quarters, and I made a clip-on float valve out of an old clip-on light fixture and a Kerrick 1.5gpm Float Valve from Amazon. This is great, because I am a scatterbrained person that is going to end up with water on the floor a lot of the time if pumps without float valves are involved.

Tags
age, ate, psi, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com