Compact Fluorescent Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rossmort

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 5.5 gallon tank in my dorm room and just bought a plant. It was a bunch plant, cant really remember the name (Stupid Me). I got a 10 watt "Mini Fluorescent Aquarium Bulb" 6500k and was just wondering if this would suffice with the tank. I dont know if anything bigger would fit in the hood. I have heard that 2watts/gallon is good but also read that the compact bulbs are not as good as others (Not sure if it is true). I just want to get it right so I don't have to mess with taking a dead stinky plant out of my tank! Thanks.

Should be fine.

LOL that was helpful eh? I don't think basic tanks like that have probs with compacts (unless they get so hot they melt the plastic tank cover), but maybe some of the plant gurus might have additional info.

PC or CF bulbs are just fine. I think you should get enough light with the setup you have unless the plant you got is one that requires very intense light (doubt it though). The bulb you're using will probably run cooler than an incandescent anyway.

Back
Top Bottom