Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

It seems that if you use manufactured glass, or soda glass, it will have some leaching, but I don't think it is a serious thing. Another thing was glass made before the 18th century. Most all glass made after that point has a much more stable mix of silica and won't leach as much. I am fairly confident that the glass I am using will have little to no leaching because it is borosilicate and is used in lab equipment. The colors still may be a concern but I will test those out.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by milooo View Post
It seems that if you use manufactured glass, or soda glass, it will have some leaching, but I don't think it is a serious thing. Another thing was glass made before the 18th century. Most all glass made after that point has a much more stable mix of silica and won't leach as much. I am fairly confident that the glass I am using will have little to no leaching because it is borosilicate and is used in lab equipment. The colors still may be a concern but I will test those out.
The 74% silica stat is using modern float technology, not 19th century. You're correct that the glass you're using isn't in the 90 percentile that aquarium glass is made from, it's what Pyrex® is made from, but it still has 70% silica in it's mix.

Borosilicate glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

yes, but it doesn't matter if it has a high silica content, it matters if it is accurate. if the glass has too much silica in the mix and it cannot be bonded with the other ingredients then it will leach more. it is all about the ratio of how much silica there is and how it bonds to form the solid structure of glass. so even if something has 70% silica, if it is mixed with the right ingredients it should not be leaching as much as glass with incorrect ratios.

of course some will leach, but this is only a minimal amount and is just because of the structure slowly decaying... i think (im no scientist)
Old 06-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
come get me tang police!

I don't really know anything about the chemistry stuff behind leaching but I'm not so sure about the 'New tanks leach silica from the surface until it's depleted, which IMO accounts for the (avg) 2 months of BA in a new tank.' statement.

I mean you also have to account for silicates being delivered through the tap water and substrate material.

There's too many variables to narrow it down to the new tank glass doing it. One other reason is that I get 90% of my tanks in used condition, some very well used, lol. They all have diatom issues the same, there doesn't seem to be a pattern in these vs. new tanks.

I guess one way would be to use a brand new tank, and r/o or some kind of tested- silica-free water and no substrate and see what happens. Otherwise I don't know.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

^Yep, a controlled test is the only way. Otherwise, it's just simply speculation. For all we know, silicates could be introduced via the air.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #16
come get me tang police!

I think they are brought upon by the tooth fairy as a method of retribution for all of the ungrateful children she has delivered money to. The children lose a tooth, trade it in for some cash, and go buy more candy to lose more teeth. For shame.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
yes, but it doesn't matter if it has a high silica content, it matters if it is accurate. if the glass has too much silica in the mix and it cannot be bonded with the other ingredients then it will leach more. it is all about the ratio of how much silica there is and how it bonds to form the solid structure of glass. so even if something has 70% silica, if it is mixed with the right ingredients it should not be leaching as much as glass with incorrect ratios.

of course some will leach, but this is only a minimal amount and is just because of the structure slowly decaying... i think (im no scientist)
That's true and the other issue is that if you're taking pre mfg'd glass and recooking it, does the silica content diminish (unless you're adding more)? From what I've read, there is a constant decay of glass molecules (?) but the micron loss is so minuscule as to almost be undetectable (at least not without some high priced laser based measuring device of some sort).

One way to test is to get a silicate test kit, get a base reading (fresh water?) then add your decco to it and see over time (days, weeks, months?) if the silica count raises significantly.

Silicate Multi Test Kit
Old 06-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

yeah i might actually do this. my mom bought me a whole bunch of beakers and sciencey equipment from a flea market that i really had no use for.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
I don't really know anything about the chemistry stuff behind leaching but I'm not so sure about the 'New tanks leach silica from the surface until it's depleted, which IMO accounts for the (avg) 2 months of BA in a new tank.' statement.

I mean you also have to account for silicates being delivered through the tap water and substrate material.

There's too many variables to narrow it down to the new tank glass doing it. One other reason is that I get 90% of my tanks in used condition, some very well used, lol. They all have diatom issues the same, there doesn't seem to be a pattern in these vs. new tanks.

I guess one way would be to use a brand new tank, and r/o or some kind of tested- silica-free water and no substrate and see what happens. Otherwise I don't know.
I'm 100% behind you on that first part of your statement . Yep silica from water, from the items used to deliver the water, the substrate, the decco, tools used in the tank, ad nauseum all play a part in it.

I guess the best test would to setup 2 identical systems, one glass, one acrylic and see what happens. Jeta, get out your tooth fairy money, I'll let you run that one and report back in 6 months lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
I think they are brought upon by the tooth fairy as a method of retribution for all of the ungrateful children she has delivered money to. The children lose a tooth, trade it in for some cash, and go buy more candy to lose more teeth. For shame.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #20
come get me tang police!

Quote:
yeah i might actually do this. my mom bought me a whole bunch of beakers and sciencey equipment from a flea market that i really had no use for.
are they glass?

Tags
decorations, glass, leaching, poisonous, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com