Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Concerning glass

I have been using glass sculptures that I made (flame working) in my tank for as long as I have had it (not that long). It has recently been brought up that the glass may be leaching silica into the water. If this is true then the elements used in the colored glass may be leaching as well which would be extremely bad. If anyone has any info on this please let me know. I use borosilicate glass but info on any kind of glass would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't believe glass leaches silicates.

Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glass 101

I was going to start a thread on glass aquariums, but milooo started this one first and I figured my thread would just be rolled into it anyway. So here's my spiel and take it on face value or discount it, you're choice. Besides that's what discussion forums are all about, right?

Glass is made of sand, sand has silica in it, melt it all together at 1200 degrees and you have a nice shiny, clear piece of glass with nearly 3/4's of it containing silica. Not sure how it can't leach it with that content (%).

"The resulting glass contains about 70 to 74% silica by weight and is called a soda-lime glass.[4] Soda-lime glasses account for about 90% of manufactured glass."

Glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only exception I can see is tempered glass has much less, since when we'd custom cut/ and temper smaller pieces in-house, the filtration system on the furnace did have a scrubber that dealt with burn off (silica?) from the glass while it was cooking. But that was a long time ago and can't confirm if silica content is reduced during the annealing process.

Toughened glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New tanks leach silica from the surface until it's depleted, which IMO accounts for the (avg) 2 months of BA in a new tank.

Here's one more piece of info from a website that's one of my goto's on a regular basis.

"Silicates leach from new glass or new sand (glass and sand are silica based). It is not uncommon for new tanks to have algae growth due to silicate leaching."

Read more: How to Reduce Algae in an Aquarium | eHow.com How to Reduce Algae in an Aquarium | eHow.com

I've got more on acrylic tanks and their limitations, but since this thread is about glass, I didn't want to go off topic in order to answer HN1's question.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

all my tankks are glass no BA also my sw has arognite sand been fuly cycled sence 5-21-2011 my fw no sand gravel runnin sence 11-28-2010 both glass tanks never had BA
xxwolfpackof1xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxwolfpackof1xx View Post
all my tankks are glass no BA also my sw has arognite sand been fuly cycled sence 5-21-2011 my fw no sand gravel runnin sence 11-28-2010 both glass tanks never had BA
Same for me on my brand new, all tempered glass 8g tank. Not a spot of BA which leads me to believe that tempered glass sears/seals the silica off/in (no facts, just observations).

My brand new 37g had 2 solid months of BA, once the conditions were right to feed it (17w->55w lighting upgrade) even with limited 4on/4off/4on light schedule. My used 29g is showing mild signs of it, but I do leave the lights on for 14hrs a day (55w), so I figure it's my own fault there .

As for your tank (or anybodies), there's too many variables to ever say you're "always" gonna get it and that wasn't the point anyway, but there's lots of threads with BA issues and I'd bet everyone of them has an experienced aquarist saying "every new tank gets BA" lol. I'd say I've read that phrase at least a hundred times in different threads and it'd be an interesting poll to compare BA in glass/tempered glass/acrylic tanks/new&used tanks/sand (type)/gravel etc to see if a pattern does reveal itself.

Your SW is still too new to say IMO and some say BA can show up, up to a year after a tank has been setup.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

my sw lights are bein upgraded in the next few months from a 15w t8 to a 4x24w t5
Old 06-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
my sw lights are bein upgraded in the next few months from a 15w t8 to a 4x24w t5
Those are the exact conditions that set my BA off in my 37g. Is this a brand new glass tank (not tempered)? It is SW and mine was FW, but I'd be interested to see what comes of the big lighting jump. Of course, SW from some info I read (prepping for my 1st SW tank) actually covets silica. True/not true?
Old 06-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

not sure to new to sw the tanks brand new standard 10 made by topfin so i think tempered?
Old 06-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
not sure to new to sw the tanks brand new standard 10 made by topfin so i think tempered?
You can tell tempered from regular glass really easy. Tempered glass will have a rounded (soft) edge, regular glass will have a square edge.

My 37g is all regular glass except the bottom (tempered glass waring sticker/"DO NOT DRILL" lol).
Old 06-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol im assuming its regular then

Tags
decorations, glass, leaching, poisonous, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com