Concerns about mounting a Cobalt Neo-Therm Neotherm heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crumpets

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased a nice new 100 watt Neo-therm heater and installed it in one of my freshwater tanks in the living room where I can keep a close eye on it for awhile.

It comes with a single mount that holds the top of the heater about 3/8" away from the glass. The cord goes up and out of the tank, where the typical lip on the top frame keeps the cord about 1/2" away from the surface of the glass. That 1/2" change in cord position tilts the top of the heater IN to the tank and the bottom of the heater OUT...to the point where the bottom edge of the heater contacts the aquarium glass. That bothers me.

My current solution has been to use a suction cup mount for airline to hold the cord closer to the glass. That now keeps the bottom edge of the heater from touching the glass. But it really irks me that I paid that much for a heater and I have to cobble together a solution to what I perceive as a problem.

It seems like a nice heater, otherwise.

I'd be interested in hearing from the forum on a few points:

1. Any other creative solutions to this perceived problem?

2. Is a heater touching the side of the aquarium really a concern?

3. Other comments?

Thanks,
Crumpets

Well, its about a month later, but here it goes...

The short answer is: You dont need to worry about part of the heater touching the glass.

I have multiple Colbalt Neo-Therm heaters. While Ive never had this specific issue, I have had the mounting suction cups come loose and the heater in any number of positions (including up against the glass and laying in the substrate).

If you havent already, you may just need to "train the power cord to rest in a position that makes you happier.

Back
Top Bottom