Concerns over weight of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBrossman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I'm wondering if you all could give me a little insight from experience. I am looking to upgrade my tank size because my fish are out-growing their home. I have a 20 gal. long and am looking to upgrade to a 55 or 75. My main concern is the overall weight of the whole setup.

The 55 gal. would weigh almost 650 lbs. and the 75 gal. would weigh almost 900 lbs., my house is not on a slab foundation so I am wondering if I need to add any extra support to the floor boards?

I would really hate to fill up the tank and come home one day to find out that my fish are on the floor and I have 55 to 75 gallons of water on the floor.

No you will fine as long as your floor is properly built. Placing the tank directly under supports or close is always a good idea tho. Think about it like this. A 75g tank is equivalent to about 5 people or so depending on size standing in the same spot in a circle. Your floor would not give. Its really only when you start getting into the hundreds of gallons that this becomes a concern really.

A simple 2x4 stand easily supports up into the 200g range. Only then do you have to start looking at 2x6's and 4x4's etc.

Hello all,

I'm wondering if you all could give me a little insight from experience. I am looking to upgrade my tank size because my fish are out-growing their home. I have a 20 gal. long and am looking to upgrade to a 55 or 75. My main concern is the overall weight of the whole setup.

The 55 gal. would weigh almost 650 lbs. and the 75 gal. would weigh almost 900 lbs., my house is not on a slab foundation so I am wondering if I need to add any extra support to the floor boards?

I would really hate to fill up the tank and come home one day to find out that my fish are on the floor and I have 55 to 75 gallons of water on the floor.

As long as you use a proper aquarium stand for those sizes, you'll be fine. Span the stand over the floor beams for that extra support. Plenty of member in similar situations with your setup.

Back
Top Bottom