Coneting fluval 405 and 406 together??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
V seen a lot of people ask this question but i still don't 100% understand it.
I have a fluval 405 and I'm upgrading to a 406 in a few months.
What I want to know is when I connect both filters together, which one would need to be running? Would it be the last one?

Never heard of connecting filters, only heard of running 2 at the same time, either for extra filtration or to keep the tank healthy as the new filter gets populated with bb.

If you google it people have done it before.
Personal I want to connect both so rather then having the 3 stages if filtration in 4 boxes I would have it shared between 8 boxes so I could keep the water a lot cleaner

Banana mouse said:
If you google it people have done it before.
Personal I want to connect both so rather then having the 3 stages if filtration in 4 boxes I would have it shared between 8 boxes so I could keep the water a lot cleaner

Sorry, I don't understand how it would keep it cleaner than just running two filters without connecting them..?

Sorry I mean it would keep the filter cleaner

If I had the 4 tubes running into toe the filter is have it like this:
Fluval 405
first 2 trays filter floss

Fluval 406
Peat pellets
Fluval pre filter
2 tarts of bio max

But if I had them connected the filter floss would remove all the debre prevent the second filters media getting clogged up, I know this means I'd have to keep the filter floss clean at all times

But you're losing a lot of flow that way, along with the potential issues. If that's what you want, just run them both and put different media in them

What if I was to hook them both up to a another tank so one takes water out and puts it in a second tank and the other filter tanks it out the other tank and outs it back into the original tank?

No, that won't work either. You would have to have the exact same flow rate, which would be impossible to regulate. Use them how they're designed to be used, or don't use them at all.

What if I was to hook them both up to a another tank so one takes water out and puts it in a second tank and the other filter tanks it out the other tank and outs it back into the original tank?

This may be a lame-o question but, are you considering this option as an alternative to doing water changes and regular maintenance?

Of course I'm not, I'm still going to do water changes when needed as iv always done with my current tank and my old tanks.

Good I understand :) what iv decided to do is upgrade to the 406 and have that in my 200L and then put the old 405 into my 100L thank you for your suggestions and opinions

Back
Top Bottom