Confused about filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I Have just set up a 40 gallon tank with an Eheim 2073 (350l) filter.

The tank contains four small fantail goldfish (not more than an inch long).

The instructions don't say how often to clean and change the filter media.

Can anyone help me out with some advice?

I am completely new to using canister filters and so would welcome any advice.

Thank you :)

I Have just set up a 40 gallon tank with an Eheim 2073 (350l) filter. The tank contains four small fantail goldfish (not more than an inch long). The instructions don't say how often to clean and change the filter media. Can anyone help me out with some advice? I am completely new to using canister filters and so would welcome any advice. Thank you :)

I would say rinse it out every 2 weeks and every month do a deep clean on the entire filter.
No soap. But you probably knew that just in case

Don't touch it unless flow is restricted or you are having issues with excess nitrates. For a canister this can take a number of months. When its time to clean use old tank water to gently clean the media. (Never use chlorinated tap water!)

Yes definitely don't clean it under the tap. Wash them with tank water as stated above.

I run 2 sponges and 1 floss with carbon in my HOB filter and I clean 1 pad every week. I'm unfamiliar with canister filter but if you can get more sponges I definitely recommend adding more media. It's useful for cleaning, starting a new tank or helping someone else to start a new tank. I just swapped out one if my sponges to speed up the cycle on my gf's betta tank.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

It sounds like you clean the media rather than replace it. Perhaps only replace once or twice a year?

I forgot to mention that I am also a bit worried that the filter is too strong for the little guys.

Is there a way to turn down the current or modify the spray bar?

Thank you everyone for your advice.

It sounds like you clean the media rather than replace it. Perhaps only replace once or twice a year?

I usually clean mine about every 4-6 months (when I'm not fooling around trying different media and stuffing it up). Depends on bio-load, water changes, etc. Usually the water flow gets quite slow from the outlet spray bar and may see the water have more solids. I generally replace the fine wool sponge and half the ceramic media each time (that is just me, lately I have found I can pack noodles in upright, get more in and still have good flow. One filter has plastic bio-balls which I'm not convinced on but resist temptation to change). I angle the spray bar up slightly to lose a bit of force. I've also been worried about the force but the fish seem fine and will swim in it for a bit. Yeah, good question - curious myself on how to tell properly. Now I'm more relaxed as long as the plants aren't getting uprooted and the fish getting blown sideways or wearing flippers...

I forgot to mention that I am also a bit worried that the filter is too strong for the little guys.

Ps (missed this on phone app). See if you can adjust the filter speed if there are any controls (mine don't but you never know), more media will slow it down and also after a week or so it will slow down as it clogs up a bit.

Thank you everyone for your advice. It sounds like you clean the media rather than replace it. Perhaps only replace once or twice a year?

No need to "replace" any media until it's falling apart, in any filter. Unless you have carbon in it, which you shouldn't unless removing meds. Take sponges and biomedia out 2-3 times a year and rinse it in discarded tank water and put it back in the filter. Make sure to just rinse the bio media gently so you don't lose all your beneficial bacteria. And also make sure you don't listen to any LFS people who just love to have your money by getting you to replace sponges and media every 2 weeks or month.

No need to "replace" any media until it's falling apart, in any filter. Unless you have carbon in it, which you shouldn't unless removing meds. Take sponges and biomedia out 2-3 times a year and rinse it in discarded tank water and put it back in the filter. Make sure to just rinse the bio media gently so you don't lose all your beneficial bacteria. And also make sure you don't listen to any LFS people who just love to have your money by getting you to replace sponges and media every 2 weeks or month.

I haven't seen enough evidence to suggest that you should not be using carbon filters. It seems that carbon filter use is a matter if preference. I read the carbon filters remove contaminants that cause water to smell and also clear things such as tannins. It also removes dissolved organic compounds which aids in bio filtration limiting heterotrophic bacteria growth not allowing them to outcompete nitrifying bacteria. And it removes medications.

The disadvantages of carbon are cost, duration of effectiveness. I have also read that a disadvantage of carbon is that it MAY remove micronutrients and could have a negative effect in a heavily planted aquarium. I've heard people who run with in one tank and without in another with no differences.

But none if these claims have been written as fact except that carbon removes tannins, odours and medications. For this reason I choose to use it as part of periodic maintenance. I then leave it in when it runs out as not to disturb the bacteria but my water is crystal clear for a month.

If someone can convince me not to use it backed by facts. I would love to hear it. And I'm really not trying to be funny or smart here I am genuinely interested.

I use it in internal filters but not in the canister filter. I think it lasts 2-4 weeks (?) and it would just be a huge pain plus I guess stress on the bb changing it (for me anyways).

I haven't seen enough evidence to suggest that you should not be using carbon filters. It seems that carbon filter use is a matter if preference. I read the carbon filters remove contaminants that cause water to smell and also clear things such as tannins. It also removes dissolved organic compounds which aids in bio filtration limiting heterotrophic bacteria growth not allowing them to outcompete nitrifying bacteria. And it removes medications. The disadvantages of carbon are cost, duration of effectiveness. I have also read that a disadvantage of carbon is that it MAY remove micronutrients and could have a negative effect in a heavily planted aquarium. I've heard people who run with in one tank and without in another with no differences. But none if these claims have been written as fact except that carbon removes tannins, odours and medications. For this reason I choose to use it as part of periodic maintenance. I then leave it in when it runs out as not to disturb the bacteria but my water is crystal clear for a month. If someone can convince me not to use it backed by facts. I would love to hear it. And I'm really not trying to be funny or smart here I am genuinely interested.
It does help remove tannis as well as the other things but if you have a "smell" and a build up of organic compounds then your simply not doing enough water changes. You stated that people run it on one tank and not another with no differences.... what more evidence do you need that it is a waste of money and time replacing because of its short life and a waste of space that could be better utilized in the filter by a good bio media.

It does help remove tannis as well as the other things but if you have a "smell" and a build up of organic compounds then your simply not doing enough water changes. You stated that people run it on one tank and not another with no differences.... what more evidence do you need that it is a waste of money and time replacing because of its short life and a waste of space that could be better utilized in the filter by a good bio media.

This is true. However, advising people that they shouldn't be using it suggests that it is

You're not telling me anything a don't already know here. I stated the advantages and disadvantages of using carbon from what I have read and I have formulated my own opinion that I will continue to use it. For me, it's a matter of preference and I feel it should be left for the hobbyist to decide. If they can afford it, would prefer to replace it, as in my case, then why not use it?

Advising people that they shouldn't be using It without offering an explanation as to why suggests that is is having some kind of adverse affect on our aquarium. It left me little confused and wondering whether I was missing something. If you give a novice reasons why you don't use it, it allows them to formulate there own opinion and decide for themselves. I enjoy the clarity of the water that the floss and carbon provide and I see no solid information that it is bad for our tank. For this reason, i will continue to use it.

You're not telling me anything a don't already know here. I stated the advantages and disadvantages of using carbon from what I have read and I have formulated my own opinion that I will continue to use it. For me, it's a matter of preference and I feel it should be left for the hobbyist to decide. If they can afford it, would prefer to replace it, as in my case, then why not use it? Advising people that they shouldn't be using It without offering an explanation as to why suggests that is is having some kind of adverse affect on our aquarium. It left me little confused and wondering whether I was missing something. If you give a novice reasons why you don't use it, it allows them to formulate there own opinion and decide for themselves. I enjoy the clarity of the water that the floss and carbon provide and I see no solid information that it is bad for our tank. For this reason, i will continue to use it.
I advised and did offer reasons for its use and non use. Use it to remove meds, tannis and also if your in an area where there are airborne contaminates then it would help. Other than that use the space in your filter for bio media. It's been a lot of years since I have used carbon due to space being better used for bio. I was able to figure that out on my own through experience long before the internet was around. Keep your filters cycled and do water changes and your fish will live happy full lives. In 30 years I think I've had 2 sick fish and still didn't use carbon to remove meds. Just got things back to normal via water changes. I didn't say there was info on it being bad in fact what I have stated is that it is good when used for what it needs to be used for. It is just simply a waste of space in a filter if it's not required. Bio media is better used in this space.

Not quite in this post. And I'm not saying you should use carbon. I'm just saying why I do. I'm aware that it take up a place for better other media. I run 2 sponges in there so I can have my floss/carbon. I change my water enough to keep my fish healthy. And unfortunately, I am to young to remember a time before the internet ;) And I haven't lost a fish yet. As long as the use of carbon doesn't directly affect the health of my fish or plants then i'm going to continue to use it.

Like I said I wasn't trying to be funny. It's just that in the above post. The implication was that people were wrong to run carbon. But the way I see it, as long as you understand the pros and cons, you can make up your own mind.

Ps I've also read of coarse filter sponge or cloth being put over the intake to stop fry being sucked in, etc.

Is de-adsorption (where charcoal get full and discharges back) an issue or not in any filter? I was reading through articles saying that it does occur but you need a large ph swing. Eg in http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/marineland_carbon.php

I have read this too, but in the same breath it says says that if we have a ph swing of this magnitude, carbon leaching back through de-absorption is the least of our worries. The wonders if carbon filters eh? :D

Also read that it is the largest selling filtration media. Albeit due to the frequency of replacement but an interesting stat nonetheless.

I have read this too, but in the same breath it says says that if we have a ph swing of this magnitude, carbon leaching back through de-absorption is the least of our worries. The wonders if carbon filters eh? :D

Also read that it is the largest selling filtration media. Albeit due to the frequency of replacement but an interesting stat nonetheless.

Reckon, I had read that it will dis-charge but nothing had mentioned the extreme ph before. All very interesting. Can't scroll up and down well on the phone app but I think you mentioned that you got clearer water with carbon? I've got a fluval u4 internal filter mainly for circulating water and picking up solids as the bio-media chamber is relatively small. I'm thinking of swapping that with carbon as I have heaps of media in the canister filter. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom