Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Roz
Aquarium Advice Freak

Confused about filter

I Have just set up a 40 gallon tank with an Eheim 2073 (350l) filter.

The tank contains four small fantail goldfish (not more than an inch long).

The instructions don't say how often to clean and change the filter media.

Can anyone help me out with some advice?

I am completely new to using canister filters and so would welcome any advice.

Thank you

Old 11-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz View Post
I Have just set up a 40 gallon tank with an Eheim 2073 (350l) filter. The tank contains four small fantail goldfish (not more than an inch long). The instructions don't say how often to clean and change the filter media. Can anyone help me out with some advice? I am completely new to using canister filters and so would welcome any advice. Thank you
I would say rinse it out every 2 weeks and every month do a deep clean on the entire filter.
No soap. But you probably knew that just in case

Old 11-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Don't touch it unless flow is restricted or you are having issues with excess nitrates. For a canister this can take a number of months. When its time to clean use old tank water to gently clean the media. (Never use chlorinated tap water!)
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes definitely don't clean it under the tap. Wash them with tank water as stated above.

I run 2 sponges and 1 floss with carbon in my HOB filter and I clean 1 pad every week. I'm unfamiliar with canister filter but if you can get more sponges I definitely recommend adding more media. It's useful for cleaning, starting a new tank or helping someone else to start a new tank. I just swapped out one if my sponges to speed up the cycle on my gf's betta tank.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #5
Roz
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you everyone for your advice.

It sounds like you clean the media rather than replace it. Perhaps only replace once or twice a year?
Old 11-04-2013, 04:00 AM   #6
Roz
Aquarium Advice Freak

I forgot to mention that I am also a bit worried that the filter is too strong for the little guys.

Is there a way to turn down the current or modify the spray bar?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your advice.

It sounds like you clean the media rather than replace it. Perhaps only replace once or twice a year?
I usually clean mine about every 4-6 months (when I'm not fooling around trying different media and stuffing it up). Depends on bio-load, water changes, etc. Usually the water flow gets quite slow from the outlet spray bar and may see the water have more solids. I generally replace the fine wool sponge and half the ceramic media each time (that is just me, lately I have found I can pack noodles in upright, get more in and still have good flow. One filter has plastic bio-balls which I'm not convinced on but resist temptation to change). I angle the spray bar up slightly to lose a bit of force. I've also been worried about the force but the fish seem fine and will swim in it for a bit. Yeah, good question - curious myself on how to tell properly. Now I'm more relaxed as long as the plants aren't getting uprooted and the fish getting blown sideways or wearing flippers...
Old 11-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #8
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
I forgot to mention that I am also a bit worried that the filter is too strong for the little guys.

Is there a way to turn down the current or modify the spray bar?
Ps (missed this on phone app). See if you can adjust the filter speed if there are any controls (mine don't but you never know), more media will slow it down and also after a week or so it will slow down as it clogs up a bit.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your advice. It sounds like you clean the media rather than replace it. Perhaps only replace once or twice a year?
No need to "replace" any media until it's falling apart, in any filter. Unless you have carbon in it, which you shouldn't unless removing meds. Take sponges and biomedia out 2-3 times a year and rinse it in discarded tank water and put it back in the filter. Make sure to just rinse the bio media gently so you don't lose all your beneficial bacteria. And also make sure you don't listen to any LFS people who just love to have your money by getting you to replace sponges and media every 2 weeks or month.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmunroe View Post
No need to "replace" any media until it's falling apart, in any filter. Unless you have carbon in it, which you shouldn't unless removing meds. Take sponges and biomedia out 2-3 times a year and rinse it in discarded tank water and put it back in the filter. Make sure to just rinse the bio media gently so you don't lose all your beneficial bacteria. And also make sure you don't listen to any LFS people who just love to have your money by getting you to replace sponges and media every 2 weeks or month.
I haven't seen enough evidence to suggest that you should not be using carbon filters. It seems that carbon filter use is a matter if preference. I read the carbon filters remove contaminants that cause water to smell and also clear things such as tannins. It also removes dissolved organic compounds which aids in bio filtration limiting heterotrophic bacteria growth not allowing them to outcompete nitrifying bacteria. And it removes medications.

The disadvantages of carbon are cost, duration of effectiveness. I have also read that a disadvantage of carbon is that it MAY remove micronutrients and could have a negative effect in a heavily planted aquarium. I've heard people who run with in one tank and without in another with no differences.

But none if these claims have been written as fact except that carbon removes tannins, odours and medications. For this reason I choose to use it as part of periodic maintenance. I then leave it in when it runs out as not to disturb the bacteria but my water is crystal clear for a month.

If someone can convince me not to use it backed by facts. I would love to hear it. And I'm really not trying to be funny or smart here I am genuinely interested.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com