Confused, need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mogurako

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an older 90 gallon tank, probably late 80s-early 90s. It had a glass brace and the rim is all separate pieces. When I took off the rim to Reline the silicone the glass brace broke.

My question is do I need to replace this piece of glass? To me a piece of glass just siliconed on top of the glass with rim over it doesn't seem like it would keep the tank from bowing, but I may be totally missing something on how it works. The tank is still apart because I'm still working on the background, any advice would be welcome I am kind of worried about this.

There are a couple of reasons to replace the center brace, which may or may not actually be there as a brace. If it was there as a brace, it needs to be replaced. It may also have been added for the purpose of supporting glass tops. How thick was the glass? Most custom tanks employ glass siliconed to the top for braces.

I don't remember how thick it was but it was fairly thick and was textured, looked like this but more of a greenish tint.

Attachments

• image-2570892272.jpg
    image-2570892272.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 60
Come on Mog that's why we invented duct tape and liquid nails. Is the center brace broken to where it's not usable, if so take it a glass shop so they can cut a new piece them silicone that back into place.

BillD said:
There are a couple of reasons to replace the center brace, which may or may not actually be there as a brace. If it was there as a brace, it needs to be replaced. It may also have been added for the purpose of supporting glass tops. How thick was the glass? Most custom tanks employ glass siliconed to the top for braces.

My tank is made out of 3/16" or 4.7 mm glass. I believe the brace piece was the same thickness if not slightly thicker.

Back
Top Bottom