considering in tank filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senorcat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is nice, yet I don't like the matter of a rear mounted external filter, because once I move, I'll be trying the more space efficient method arranging my home. (Feng Shui all the way, for peace of mind.) The solution, in tank filtration. I love my tank, and want it in the bedroom, because it helps me sleep well, and when that fails, I like to be mesmerized by it. I'd like some stories on any experience with in tank filtration. I lean heavily in favor, but would l;ike to hear any negative as well as positive views, for the sake of science and truth.

Maybe if you tell us how big your tank is, someone can offer some more help. :)
For instance I have a 5 gallon tank that I recently purchased a Whisper Micro Internal filter for. It has done a great deal to clean up my tank. Before that I had a small internal box filter (from back in 'the day'...the kind you hook the air pump to) and that was just useless. I couldn't use a hob filter because the lid of the tank snaps on leaving no room for the 'waterfall' of water.
I don't know that I would use an internal filter for anything larger. But maybe someone else has an experience they can share.

I have an Aquaclear Mini Power Filter that is HOB for my 10 gal. It is makes almost no noise (None that I can detect) and the waterfal makes a nice relaxing sound. The media is a sopnge and actavated carbon, that you should change once a month. It keeps my tank very clean and keeps the water circulating. HTH

I just bought a "corner filter" for my ten gallon tank. Its neat and works great (so far) but I wouldn't recommend it for anything bigger.

If its the 30 gal in your profile I would go for a canister filter. The canister can go in the stand. That is most stands have a open back. A Filstar xP1 like mine would work great on your tank.

Thank you all, and sorry, forgot that the tank size wasnt listed, it IS a 30 gal. tank. the emperor, penguin sound good and I have seen, but the filstar is new to mine ears and eyes, mates. Ill investigate further, by the way: does this filstar,s cannister fit well into tight areas? I seek the feel of there yet out of sight. I often see at petsmart the powerheads and filter media adaptors, they cath the eye due to the miniscule nature. any further arguements and opinions are welcome. P.S. sorry veruca, meant not to perturb you by lacking details, thanks however for pointing my misnomer. G'day!

Canisters dont hang on or in the tank. Hoses are used. 10 inches tall and 9.5 inches sqaure is the size. The canister can sit in the tank stand out of sight. Unless you have a open metal stand. Then it will be seen.
Canisters are great. They take a bit of time to setup but are lower maintance in the long run only having to clean it once a month.

here is a link to some user reviews of canister filters.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews/category_display.php?CatID=104&sort=rating

Here is a good article about all types of filters.
http://www.2cah.com/netmax/basics/filters/filters.shtml

If you want a truly quiet, high performance, extremely long-lived canister filter that would require about 1.5" space behind the tank for the hoses, get yourself an Eheim. I can't hear mine, and sometimes when I am in the cabinet under the tank I put my hand on it to be sure it is running.

Back
Top Bottom