Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Depending on the number of tanks you have and the number of heaters I recommend getting a power generator that connects and runs from your home natural gas line. They cost around $3,000 from Costco including installation. You can go 50-60% cheaper using a gasoline powered generator. In my experience all the battery backups that use D cell batteries will not last more than 1 hour. You need to have really valuable fish or love your fish a lot to spend this much money.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 05-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You would do best with a UPS. Around $120 and you can keep filters alive for quite awhile. Add backup batteries and you, without question, will have the filters running for days. Play it right and you can exchange batteries every day or so and charge off of your truck.

The generator is also certainly viable. Making your own power after a tornado is certainly worthy of a premium price.

Also, I don't know exactly what you ask out of a contingency plan, but to me, it is absolute essentials. No lights, no heat, no auxiliary devices. Just the filter and "enough" aeration to keep the fish alive.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 05-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How long can UPS units last? I was under the impression it was about 500 watts for 15 minutes depending on UPS model. That would be about 1000 minutes running a single HOB filter or 500 minutes running two HOBs which is certainly feasible, practical, and less expensive than a generator.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's about what they're good for. Many now run a computer for two hours or more.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Generator that runs the tank, fridge, and ac system, lights etc.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A generator is certainly great when you need to run more than the tank. Then you can say "screw contingency." Otherwise I would go with a UPS.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #17
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Battery powered aerators are inexpensive and easy to use (as long as you have good batteries). Mine will run for 2-3 days with super heavy duty batteries. Another inexpensive option is an power inverter. They run $20-40 at any big chain store depending on the number of outlets. They plug into your vehicle power outlet and provide actual outlets to plug things into. A generator, without a doubt, is the best (and by far most expensive) option and has saved my fish and my sanity on multiple occasions.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you know of any good brand power inverters? I bought one from BJs wholesale many years ago and it fried the cigarette lighter jack in my SUV. All I plugged in was a laptop computer AC Adaptor... I need a reliable power inverter but don't know the best one to get.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcham View Post
Do you know of any good brand power inverters? I bought one from BJs wholesale many years ago and it fried the cigarette lighter jack in my SUV. All I plugged in was a laptop computer AC Adaptor... I need a reliable power inverter but don't know the best one to get. Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app
if you want a quality piece go to Home Depot, rigid makes one that is about as good as they get..
Old 05-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Better yet, you can ask an electrical contractor. We usually put in Generac.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
equipment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com