Convince me on the Best HOB Power Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a Whisper 60 along with a couple canister filters on a red-earred slider turtle tank. Only reason I bought a Whisper for this tank is becaues the filter media was really cheap to replace and anyone with RES turtles know how messy they are!

I also had a small Whisper 10 or 20 on a 15g fresh water tank that was replaced with a AquaClear 200. It's been about 2 months and the AC200 seems to be doing well. I keep up with the water changes so I can't really tell how much crap the sponge is catching. On the Whisper filter, I could visually see the crap get stuck on the filter media.

All the Whispers I've used have been quiet.

I had a Penguin 330 (removed bio-wheel) on a small 10g saltwater tank. It was noisy, but probably due to it's old age. The filter media was kinda expensive to replace.

On my 46g gold fish tank, I have a Penguin 350B and a Aquaclear 300. The new Penguin filters seem very well constructed and seemed more durable than the Aquaclear.

When I went to clean out the filter pads on the Penguin (you can put 4 in there), it seemed like it collected much more crap than the AC300. I have 2 sponges and ceramic rings in the AC300. When I squeezed/rinse the sponges on the AC300, not too much crap came out, esp. compared to the Penguin 350B. I know the 350B is a much larger model compared to the AC300, but I wasn't impressed with how much gunk came out.

I really like the new Penguin filters. The only thing it lacks is an adjustable flow. On almost every site I've searched, almost everyone raves about the Aquaclear and there must be a reason why.

I'm currently setting up 72g tank for a friend and wanted to put to large filters on there. I'm torn between getting either the Penguin 350B or Aquaclear 500.

I like the AC because the sponges can be re-used for a long time as oppose to the Penguin filters. I know they're customizable, but I would probably only use sponges and ceramic rings anyway. So given my AC setup, the Penguin and AC will have similar features (unless someone can suggest a better configuration).

I also read a post where someone said Penguins produce too much nitrate. Well, that must be true because the bio-wheels are so efficient at converting the ammonia and nitrites. If it didn't produce trates, then you would have ammonia and trites in the water.

OK, I'm done rambling!

Can anyone convince me on which filter/s to get?

the aqua clear just has flexablity..
I would put a sponge on the intake and call it a day.. you will prefilter the water and when flow goes down.. you can just clean it.. that way you dont have to invest in another HOB.. that you likely dont need..

Much as this topic gets debated, most HOBs are pretty darn similar. I like the Whisper 60 because you can get really cheap generic refils for it and it moves a lot of water. But then again so do most of them :wink:

with your aquaclear you should be able to sort of get a look at how dark the sponge is to get a glimpse of how dirty it is, but if you want to get a good look just pull out the 3 stage thing and rinse the sponge out in a bag full of aquarium water and just put it back in the basket and it will be ready to do some more filtering

i have a Penguin w/ bio-wheel...but that and an Aquaclear are great HOB's :D

Honestly about adjusting the aquaclear flow, i don't think it really helps, i put mine on the lowest flow and it still doesn't look any different to me.

Honestly about adjusting the aquaclear flow, i don't think it really helps, i put mine on the lowest flow and it still doesn't look any different to me.

I've got a AC 500 on my 55gal aquarium and I agree with AshleyNicole, that you cant really tell that much difference with the flow control on lowest to highest.

I do like my AC 500. Due to the fact that you have more control over your media and that the sponge is reusable.

I don't have experience with the AC500, but on my AC300, I can tell a difference between between the high and low flow settings.

I tend to err on the side of "over filtering" and since I can't really make up my mind, I think a combination between the two will be good. Maybe buy a Penguin 350B and a AC500 for a 72g tank... ??

Sure, why not? I use an AC 150 and Penguin mini on my 20 gallon tank and IMO it's like the best of both worlds. :D I do like the biowheel on the Penguins/Emperors, but I love the fact that I don't have to pay for cartridges for the AC. I use 2 sponges and the ceramic rings in mine.

I think you'd be fine with the Penguin 350 and AC 300, but of course it wouldn't hurt to go for the 500- I'm just cheap I guess. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom