Cool Tools: Share Your Aquatic/Non-Aquatic finds with AA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scraping algae off tank walls just makes it a water borne algae until it attaches itself to something new, is removed (in part) via PWC, sucked into the filter (no light, it dies), or nuked via UV according to my research.

I clean the algae before I do a PWC but I know I'm not getting it all with the vac, so my testing will determine if scraping (most of) it daily and having a UV in place is going to stem the 2 month tide of BA I'm expecting in my fresh BW tank.

Mr. Limpet said:
Scraping algae off tank walls just makes it a water borne algae until it attaches itself to something new, is removed (in part) via PWC, sucked into the filter (no light, it dies), or nuked via UV according to my research.

I clean the algae before I do a PWC but I know I'm not getting it all with the vac, so my testing will determine if scraping (most of) it daily and having a UV in place is going to stem the 2 month tide of BA I'm expecting in my fresh BW tank.

Ah right! Good luck then!! I was just thinking that green water is good for goldfish fry! I had lots of success breeding them in that!

I have a 5ml syringe but 5ml from my syringe doesn't match meet the line on the API test tubes it goes over the line if u get what i mean. Is it the same story for u two?

How are you measuring it? You should have the line on the test tube line up with the meniscus, not the top of the water-line.

If you're not familiar with a meniscus (which I'm surprised I remember, having it been almost 10 years since freshman chemistry), it's the concave dip in the water's surface... like this:

562120.jpg

uscamaro said:
How are you measuring it? You should have the line on the test tube line up with the meniscus, not the top of the water-line.

If you're not familiar with a meniscus (which I'm surprised I remember, having it been almost 10 years since freshman chemistry), it's the concave dip in the water's surface... like this:

Ya that's what I've being goin for on my API test tubes and my spryinge. But they but don't equal.

Mr. Limpet said:
Here's a tool of sorts that is used in every tank filter I have, including the Fluval submersible in my 8g. Poly-fil scrubs the water so well and is so cheap to replace, I'm guessing I can go for a year with one $5 bag of it. I use the Fairfield brand poly-fil which is confirmed as additive free (no fire retardents, etc.).

Here's a before/after pic of poly-fil from a week in my goldie tank that has tannins leaching, excess food (they're pigs and I spoil them :p) and the final stages of BA (Diatoms).

Here's a pic of the poly-fil I use in all my filters. I can't add a pic, so if this gets seperated from the OP, sorry.

Mr. Limpet said:
Here's a pic of the poly-fil I use in all my filters. I can't add a pic, so if this gets seperated from the OP, sorry.

Darn it. App didn't post pic, I'll try to clean it up later on my Mac.

Attachments

• 2011-06-01 11.29.35-1.jpg
    2011-06-01 11.29.35-1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 92
Darn it. App didn't post pic, I'll try to clean it up later on my Mac.

I use this same stuff in my filters. At $2.50 a bag at Walmart, yeah, I'm all over it.

My other favorite tools are a pair of 18inch tweezers (supposed to be for feeding reptiles) and a pair of hair cutting scissors that I use for plants.

Green scrubby pads for cleaning the glass (each tank has it's own scrubby)

A spray bottle filled with Excel for help with algae control.

Various sized bottle brushes.

Wooden toothpicks (for cleaning out small airline tubing)

Medicine droppers, turkey basters, medicine measuring spoons

Cheap plastic cups (for melting frozen foods)

Foot stool (2 of the tanks are 31 inches deep)

I haven't had fish for that long, but I found that a kitchen thermometer is a good way to check water changes before pouring them in, it's really fast and easy

Get a Magnetic Scraper I was told and man were they right. I scraped all 4 walls in my 37g tall of my now receeding BA and it took all of 5 or 6 minutes today (1/4 the time compared to my pad scraper) and I was able to get it all in one session :D. Best part is my nosey goldies didn't get scraped like the last time I used my now defunct, long handled pad scraper.

Best $16 dollars I've spent in a long time.

Mr. Limpet said:
Get a Magnetic Scraper I was told and man were they right. I scraped all 4 walls in my 37g tall of my now receeding BA and it took all of 5 or 6 minutes today (1/4 the time compared to my pad scraper) and I was able to get it all in one session :D. Best part is my nosey goldies didn't get scraped like the last time I used my now defunct, long handled pad scraper.

Best $16 dollars I've spent in a long time.

Haha ya they are amazing! Does wonder in my Goldfish tank!

I have two items I use for my water testing. First I got a small animal feeding syringe from petco to fill my tubes up with and secondly I bought a test tueb rack off ebay for like $7.

Sounds silly but with 7 tanks running and an 8th coming soon anything that makes it easier is worth a mention. :-D

A test tube rack?! That's the best idea I've heard in ages! :thanks:

An magnetic algae scraper, haven't used in over 10 years but I still enjoy playing with it by hauling the outside magnet off and chatting it bahaha neat little rig. A coat hanger that I twisted to have angles and hooks, I used to use it almost everyday for countless things so didn't have to put hands in tank every 5 seconds due to OCD lol and it doesn't disturb the fish as much. Bought a picker/cutter now that seems to be alright still can't pick something up as heavy as my homemade rig :) and finally A BUCKET!!!! collected about 30 now from a friend who works in a bakery lol

denwhite16 said:
You can get a huge bag at Wal-mart for like $8! My LFS wanted $7 for a bag that was 1/10 of the size!

Craft or fabric stores has it for $5 in my overpriced county lol. Yep, I see poly-fil at my LFS and they charge extra (and give you less) because it says "Aquarium" on the bag :nono:.

Back
Top Bottom