Cool Tools: Share Your Aquatic/Non-Aquatic finds with AA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Limpet

Aquarium Advice Addict
After spending tons of time working on 4 tanks (3FW/1BW), I'm finding a lot of unique tools/items that make my fish keeping easier, less time consuming and more rewarding. I thought it would be a great idea to share a few that I've found and hopefully others will too.

Pics of what you're sharing are always welcome, as well as a description (details help) of how you use it. Whether it's FW/BW, SW or Pond/Amphibian, feel free to share or ask about any tool, product or idea you have.

I have two items I use for my water testing. First I got a small animal feeding syringe from petco to fill my tubes up with and secondly I bought a test tueb rack off ebay for like $7.

Sounds silly but with 7 tanks running and an 8th coming soon anything that makes it easier is worth a mention. :-D

Here's my first submission. A syringe that saves my sanity given the amount of tests I conduct with the API Master test kit.

I got this (actually 4) when I had my wisdom teeth pulled and and had a couple spares. The syringe is easy to use and I don't spend 5 minutes trying to get the water level right at 5ml which according to API is a must for proper results. I'm sure there's a OTC product that would work just as well, but these were free.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110518_103339.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_103339.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 237
carey said:
I have two items I use for my water testing. First I got a small animal feeding syringe from petco to fill my tubes up with and secondly I bought a test tueb rack off ebay for like $7.

Sounds silly but with 7 tanks running and an 8th coming soon anything that makes it easier is worth a mention. :-D

I find it great that both of our first posts were associated with testing water :p.

Nice find BTW!

Here's an adaptation of a gravel vacuum I use for my 8g tank with a sand bed so I can lightly stir the sand, kicking up detritus and easily vacuum it up. The one I like best has a mini nozzle I had laying around, but any tubing can work and smaller 1/4" tubing keeps the flow rate down so I can clean more sand before I run out of water in the tank. With the clear tubing I can create a mild vacuum and put the end into my bucket before I get a mouthful of fish water lol.

Parts:
6-8 ft of 1/4" tubing from Ace (.23 a foot)
2 Rubber bands from LFS buys (free)
Toothpick from the kitchen (free)

A standard vac with the big nozzle would work too, but a long deli sandwich toothpick might work better.

The first pic is my favorite, the second pic is my original.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110518_105837.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_105837.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 259
  • ForumRunner_20110518_105937.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_105937.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 244
Since every tank I have has plants (BW too), I picked up this tool kit at Aqua Forest Aquarium the other day and wondered how I could go so long without it. Using it to clip out Vals that were speading out a bit too much and putting root tabs in made the process easy.

It was $50 for the kit, but at $10 per piece and stainless steel to boot, I think it was a great deal. Plus I got a free case with it :D.

Attachments

• 2011-05-17 17.29.01-1.jpg
    2011-05-17 17.29.01-1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 237
My favorite 2 tools are a stainless steel set of forceps, and a toothbrush. Both are indispensable.

Mr limpet and carey in regards to using syringe. I though I'll try it out after reading this thread though it was a good idea. I have a 5ml syringe but 5ml from my syringe doesn't match meet the line on the API test tubes it goes over the line if u get what i mean. Is it the same story for u two?

Mr limpet and carey in regards to using syringe. I though I'll try it out after reading this thread though it was a good idea. I have a 5ml syringe but 5ml from my syringe doesn't match meet the line on the API test tubes it goes over the line if u get what i mean. Is it the same story for u two?

I don't measure out 5ml in my syringe since it has no markings for it. I'd suggest going with the line on the test tube, no matter what your syringe is gauged to.

Here's a tool of sorts that is used in every tank filter I have, including the Fluval submersible in my 8g. Poly-fil scrubs the water so well and is so cheap to replace, I'm guessing I can go for a year with one $5 bag of it. I use the Fairfield brand poly-fil which is confirmed as additive free (no fire retardents, etc.).

Here's a before/after pic of poly-fil from a week in my goldie tank that has tannins leaching, excess food (they're pigs and I spoil them :p) and the final stages of BA (Diatoms).

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110519_142034.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110519_142034.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 156
mmm... and if you save them after replacement, you will eventually have enough to knit a nice brown shirt :)

fort384 said:
mmm... and if you save them after replacement, you will eventually have enough to knit a nice brown shirt :)

It gets squeezed out in old water and feeds my garden/flower beds and composter. This stuff is like gold to a horticulturist :D.

I could send it to you for pillow stuffing if you want? Actually, I was expecting a comment from you on using my do!aqua bag for a backdrop lol.

New Tool: GKM UV Unit

After a couple good recommendations here and positive reviews online, I finally broke down and decided to buy the 9w Green killing Machine UV sterilizer/power head. Petco had it for $50 and Amazon was $48, gotta figure I saved at least $10 on shipping charges lol. I needed it since my high lights on the GSP tank are on 14hrs a day and even though most of the plants love it (banana plant for sure), so does the algae and until the puffers are settled in, I'm not gonna be reducing the photoperiod.

I'll test it for a while and post a review of it here.

Amazon.com: Green Killing Machine 9 watt Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head: Sports & Outdoors

Mr. Limpet said:
New Tool: GKM UV Unit

After a couple good recommendations here and positive reviews online, I finally broke down and decided to buy the 9w Green killing Machine UV sterilizer/power head. Petco had it for $50 and Amazon was $48, gotta figure I saved at least $10 on shipping charges lol. I needed it since my high lights on the GSP tank are on 14hrs a day and even though most of the plants love it (banana plant for sure), so does the algae and until the puffers are settled in, I'm not gonna be reducing the photoperiod.

I'll test it for a while and post a review of it here.

Amazon.com: Green Killing Machine 9 watt Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head: Sports & Outdoors

I've this machine. I don't think it's great. The sponge on the intake gets clogged really easily. But then again my light was on for 14 hours so I can't say much!

i have a thing that looks like a mini toilet bowl scrubber that should be used to clean out dog bowls that i got at petsmart. works great for algae!

fishmonkey said:
i have a thing that looks like a mini toilet bowl scrubber that should be used to clean out dog bowls that i got at petsmart. works great for algae!

On the glass isn't the issue, it's the water column I need to get at.

Back
Top Bottom