Cool Trigger story and, Where should i place my powerheads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 12 gallon nano tank is done cycling. I wanted to top it off by buying a nice piece of live rock. My neighborhood petco carries nice pieces of fiji live rock. So, I headed over there and got the biggest piece they had. Its about 12lbs for only $9.99.
I get home and take some water out of my tank. (so it wont overflow with the new rock being put in place.) As i pull the rock out of the bag i look into the little hole in the rock. i see something shining inside. So, i grab my flashlight to take a better look and inside is a Trigger Fish! 8O I freak out and immediately Place the rock into the water so i wont kill the fish. I called petco and told them it looks stuck. The employe told me to not worry it will come out. SO an hour later i walk back into my room and look at my tank and the trigger is swimming around happily. Cheap fiji rock and a free trigger. cant beat that. :D

Anyways. I have two small power heads i want to place in my tank. where should they go? I know i dont want "dead Spots" on my rocks.
Should they go up high or down low?
Thanks guys.

Congrats

Wow! That was a great deal! :D I have never heard of anyone finding something that cool in their live rock! What kind of trigger is it, anyway?

You actually want the flow to disrupt the surface of the water, so it creates a good gas exchange. It prevents the "oil slick" from forming on top of the water. Free fish, cant beat that! My local Petco is asking a lot more than $12.99 for a big piece f rock. And no free fish with it either, LOL.

lol yeah It is a great deal. Too bad i wont be able to keep that trigger fish :( , that thing will outgrow my little 12 gallon nano tank in no time. It was a Niger Trigger.
Its a great looking fish. Maybe when i get around to setting up my 90 gallon i can keep some of them.
But anyways.
So, i want my Powerheads to be close to the surface so it will dissrupt the current on the top of the water as much as possible? Am i understanding this correctly?
And, Is it ok to have a bubble curtain in a reef tank?

Thanks!

i find a bubble curtain not to be very natural in the reef aquarium. the way i get the water aerated is through a skimmer. also you want water movement with two powerheads facing at each other to create random water movement. It will stimulate corals.

ok im confused. lol
What should i do then?
right now i have both powerheads facing the ront of the tank and its creating a nice flow over the surface of the water.

facing the front is fine. That way the current hits the front hard and then dissipates, you may end up having the sand in the front of the tank move on you....

The sand hasnt so far so i think its ok but my fish all tend to stay towards the bottum of the tank. should i turn down the powerheads?
And also i boguth a chocolate chip star fish from petco and as soon as i placed it in my tank my fish started flicking up against the rocks. what can i treat that with?

I have my powerheads moving the water in a clockwise motion,(the rock is piled in the back with about an inch and a half between the glass) all my little friends seem to like it. I tried pointing them at eachother but there was to much power in the center of the tank and my Xenia was flailing quite retartedly. I probably have too much flow in my 37 gal.

2 maxijet 1200
1 HOB skimmer
hagen power filter

~20x per gallon flowage in the reef tank

ace1uno_00 said:
The sand hasnt so far so i think its ok but my fish all tend to stay towards the bottum of the tank. should i turn down the powerheads?
And also i boguth a chocolate chip star fish from petco and as soon as i placed it in my tank my fish started flicking up against the rocks. what can i treat that with?

I would take the chocolate chip back and get a brittle star(not one of the fury ones though)

ok. cool. all they have is they furry lookin brittle star. i also just got this little red crab. i dont know how big it gets......

Back
Top Bottom