Coral Friendly light fixture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KreativJustin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just made a custom light fixture.. the ballast is a Phillips 4x
F54T5/HO/ - F54T5/HO/ES

I want to keep corals, but not any super incredible SPS corals or anything, just some decently nice ones. I want to keep an anemone or two, because my tank will keep some clowns once I'm able to stock it.

I don't plan on stocking anything tomorrow, but getting prepared.

The bulbs will be 2x 10k bulbs & 2x actinic bulbs, all HO of course. They are the Coralife brand, and I know these are 54watt and my ballast is 49watt, but the bulbs look amazing. Is there any downsides to using 54watt bulbs? Also, my main question, can I keep good corals with this lighting setup?

You aren't pushing the 54 watt lamps to the limit, so it's hard to say what kind of PAR you are getting out of them. I would guess you could keep softies and some LPS happy under this fixture. The coralife lamps aren't the best you can get. ATI and Giesemann make the highest PAR lamps. When it's time to change them out (9 months or so, maybe a bit longer since you aren't pushing them as hard as they should be), you may want to buck up for the better lamps.

Here's a picture of my general light specs.. I don't know really how to read... if anyone has an idea that would be amazing. ** Low Quality for Forum Purposes **

img_2925495_0_cd62513567af9ff9d68618ca17063a61.jpg

It does say Input at 240-234 watts, I'm just kinda lost with this. The only thing that says 49watt is the F54T5/HO/ES(49W)

---Edit---
Not that it's relevant to power, but to the corals. I use a Leviton 2 bulb reflector with 1x 10k and 1x Actinic running on each individual area. This one to be exact: http://www.mscdirect.com/product/77..._sJXegN7a0_PLA__15557577904_c_S&026=-99&025=c

Am I able to run 54watt's to full potential? Where can I get ATI or Geissman light bulbs, do I have to order online? I don't really want the hassle of broken light bulbs due to shipping. My LFS's carry Coralife bulbs as their best bulbs.

I think you are running them at full potential. It says your fixture is a high output fixture that can run 4 x 54, unless I'm missing something. Apparently, you can also run lower wattage (ES) lamps which I assume are normal output. I don't know how that works, but I think that's what I'm reading.
ATI and giesemann lamps can be purchased at some local stores as well as on line. I have always ordered my T5 lamps on line. They are much cheaper this way. I have never received a broken lamp yet. Either way, they are covered, so they will send you out a replacement if so.
For that fixture I would suggest 2 ATI blue plus, and 2 ATI aquablue special.

Back
Top Bottom