Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #1
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Coral shop potassium test kit

Hi all,

I've a FW tank but bought this test in the SW section of lfs so not quite sure where to post.

I used it for the first time tonight and got a reading that was possible at 188ppm (although was expecting more like 18ppm).

I had some questions to make sure I was using the kit correctly if anyone else may use this test? I just want to check I'm using the syringes right and reading the results right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425476645.464030.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	266254

Old 03-04-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Anyone? I'll try and post details on the test tonight for reference.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ok, so talked with my sister and think I have the test figured out.

I've copied in another review for a link on the equipment and also their results which are more in-depth.

I tested again on Saturday and got 78ppm K. Still seems high though but this is only based on issues with the plants. More like what I would expect though. I had dosed 10ppm K in the morning so was expecting something at least.

Cost of the kit was about $70 AUD (note Aus stuff is more expensive compared to US) but was however a lot cheaper than the couple of hundred dollars I had found for another test.

The test covers 0 to 774ppm (+/- 8ppm) so seems perfect for testing in FW planted tanks.

The test looks complex with 5 bottles and syringes but in reality was fairly easy to step through and figure out the results.

I did find it difficult to use the syringes. They are 1ml syringes and you draw 1ml. I found I had air bubbles that I had to tap out and muck around with to try and get 1ml exact. A 2ml syringe would be easier (or a dropper). The equipment is all good. Nothing fancy but does the job.

Safety wise you get a pair of gloves, particularly needed for the last two bottles. This is where mucking around with syringes and trying to tap out air bubbles needed some care.

Reefing The Australian Way Forums • View topic - Review: Coral-Shop Potassium Kit

If anyone has used this test would still be keen to hear from them.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Good to know about this test kit but I can't seem to find it online through Amazon which is my best bet for supplies. Do you know of another online source? I don't see it on Drs Foster and Smith either.

So using the Aquatic Plant Central Fertilator that you linked up for me in my thread, when I enter all my dosing it says when potassium is more plenty with out adding anything extra. So I think I'm okay with out the potassium test for now. I'm going to keep up with what I'm doing and watch the plants and watch for algae and see how things go.

How are things going for you? What do you have for a tank, lights (low, med, high) and stock? Are you having deficiency problems or just trying to prevent them?
Old 04-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsvt View Post
Good to know about this test kit but I can't seem to find it online through Amazon which is my best bet for supplies. Do you know of another online source? I don't see it on Drs Foster and Smith either.

So using the Aquatic Plant Central Fertilator that you linked up for me in my thread, when I enter all my dosing it says when potassium is more plenty with out adding anything extra. So I think I'm okay with out the potassium test for now. I'm going to keep up with what I'm doing and watch the plants and watch for algae and see how things go.

How are things going for you? What do you have for a tank, lights (low, med, high) and stock? Are you having deficiency problems or just trying to prevent them?
coral-shop.com - Seawater Analysis - Test Kits

you need to register before you can make a purchase
Old 04-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsvt View Post

I'll have a look where I got it from tonight. That's a shame it's not cheaper somewhere, I had assumed it would be. I'm bit of a test kit junkie

Meh, on my tank. The tunze c02 reactor has been making a rattle unless I keep under 2 bps. So the c02 now comes on an hour and a half before lights and I suspect could be longer but will see how ph goes. So far seems to be struggling to get under a ph of 7 and I want it down to 6.9 or 6.8 while the lfs guy takes his ph down to 6.7 with co2 injection.

Lights are high light. Foxtail floating around is going beautifully. Stem plants of giant hygro and also val are struggling with BBA. I definitely had a potassium and then maybe a phosphate deficiency (dry ferts arrived last week), but I'm also not happy with the gravel substrate. I'd like to replace it with something better however that would be pretty costly and a big job. Lol, should of got cichlids for this tank like everyone else seems to do here.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #7
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
coral-shop.com - Seawater Analysis - Test Kits

you need to register before you can make a purchase

Thanks for link, will check out. That guy in the link rings a bell, think is seen that photo before and wondered what that heck he was up to
Old 04-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
I'm bit of a test kit junkie
Me too but I'm proud of myself. I've gotten down to every other day now on my tank. I'm working with a new dosing schedule for the next 7 days so we'll see how that goes. Just did my 50% WC today.

Quote:
Meh, on my tank. The tunze c02 reactor has been making a rattle unless I keep under 2 bps. So the c02 now comes on an hour and a half before lights and I suspect could be longer but will see how ph goes. So far seems to be struggling to get under a ph of 7 and I want it down to 6.9 or 6.8 while the lfs guy takes his ph down to 6.7 with co2 injection.

Lights are high light. Foxtail floating around is going beautifully. Stem plants of giant hygro and also val are struggling with BBA. I definitely had a potassium and then maybe a phosphate deficiency (dry ferts arrived last week), but I'm also not happy with the gravel substrate. I'd like to replace it with something better however that would be pretty costly and a big job. Lol, should of got cichlids for this tank like everyone else seems to do here.
Good luck with everything. Sound like you are little frustrated. I'm pretty happy with my low light/excel for CO2 setup. My plants are growing again but after I solved the iron deficiency I think I started to see signs of potassium deficiency. So I'm trying a new dosing schedule this week. We'll see how it goes. It definitely is trail and error and when you think you've got it figured out, something changes and you've got to get everything dialed back in. Hoping you figure out how to get the results you are looking for!

Old 04-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

. Tempted to change some of the plants and try plants that are more water column feeders. The hygro is shooting up but the BBA is bleh...
Old 04-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Quote:
. Tempted to change some of the plants and try plants that are more water column feeders. The hygro is shooting up but the BBA is bleh...
Is BBA, black beard algae or something else? I don't know all the abbreviations yet. I think I may be seeing some of this starting in my tank but I just did a 50% water change yesterday and it seems have appeared overnight as couple of small black spots. My plant combination is 2 different root feeders and the rest are water column feeders. I'll have to go do some reading and see if I can figure out where I need to make some changes. And I was just starting to see growth again in my plants! This plant growing business is definitely a challenge! Good luck to you and let me know if you figure anything out.

Tags
coral, test, test kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com