Coral shop potassium test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Hi all,

I've a FW tank but bought this test in the SW section of lfs so not quite sure where to post.

I used it for the first time tonight and got a reading that was possible at 188ppm (although was expecting more like 18ppm).

I had some questions to make sure I was using the kit correctly if anyone else may use this test? I just want to check I'm using the syringes right and reading the results right.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425476645.464030.jpg

Ok, so talked with my sister and think I have the test figured out.

I've copied in another review for a link on the equipment and also their results which are more in-depth.

I tested again on Saturday and got 78ppm K. Still seems high though but this is only based on issues with the plants. More like what I would expect though. I had dosed 10ppm K in the morning so was expecting something at least.

Cost of the kit was about $70 AUD (note Aus stuff is more expensive compared to US) but was however a lot cheaper than the couple of hundred dollars I had found for another test.

The test covers 0 to 774ppm (+/- 8ppm) so seems perfect for testing in FW planted tanks.

The test looks complex with 5 bottles and syringes but in reality was fairly easy to step through and figure out the results.

I did find it difficult to use the syringes. They are 1ml syringes and you draw 1ml. I found I had air bubbles that I had to tap out and muck around with to try and get 1ml exact. A 2ml syringe would be easier (or a dropper). The equipment is all good. Nothing fancy but does the job.

Safety wise you get a pair of gloves, particularly needed for the last two bottles. This is where mucking around with syringes and trying to tap out air bubbles needed some care.

Reefing The Australian Way Forums • View topic - Review: Coral-Shop Potassium Kit

If anyone has used this test would still be keen to hear from them.

Good to know about this test kit but I can't seem to find it online through Amazon which is my best bet for supplies. Do you know of another online source? I don't see it on Drs Foster and Smith either.

So using the Aquatic Plant Central Fertilator that you linked up for me in my thread, when I enter all my dosing it says when potassium is more plenty with out adding anything extra. So I think I'm okay with out the potassium test for now. I'm going to keep up with what I'm doing and watch the plants and watch for algae and see how things go.

How are things going for you? What do you have for a tank, lights (low, med, high) and stock? Are you having deficiency problems or just trying to prevent them?

Good to know about this test kit but I can't seem to find it online through Amazon which is my best bet for supplies. Do you know of another online source? I don't see it on Drs Foster and Smith either.

So using the Aquatic Plant Central Fertilator that you linked up for me in my thread, when I enter all my dosing it says when potassium is more plenty with out adding anything extra. So I think I'm okay with out the potassium test for now. I'm going to keep up with what I'm doing and watch the plants and watch for algae and see how things go.

How are things going for you? What do you have for a tank, lights (low, med, high) and stock? Are you having deficiency problems or just trying to prevent them?

coral-shop.com - Seawater Analysis - Test Kits

you need to register before you can make a purchase (y)

I'll have a look where I got it from tonight. That's a shame it's not cheaper somewhere, I had assumed it would be. I'm bit of a test kit junkie :)

Meh, on my tank. The tunze c02 reactor has been making a rattle unless I keep under 2 bps. So the c02 now comes on an hour and a half before lights and I suspect could be longer but will see how ph goes. So far seems to be struggling to get under a ph of 7 and I want it down to 6.9 or 6.8 while the lfs guy takes his ph down to 6.7 with co2 injection.

Lights are high light. Foxtail floating around is going beautifully. Stem plants of giant hygro and also val are struggling with BBA. I definitely had a potassium and then maybe a phosphate deficiency (dry ferts arrived last week), but I'm also not happy with the gravel substrate. I'd like to replace it with something better however that would be pretty costly and a big job. Lol, should of got cichlids for this tank like everyone else seems to do here.

I'm bit of a test kit junkie :)

Me too but I'm proud of myself. I've gotten down to every other day now on my tank. I'm working with a new dosing schedule for the next 7 days so we'll see how that goes. Just did my 50% WC today.

Meh, on my tank. The tunze c02 reactor has been making a rattle unless I keep under 2 bps. So the c02 now comes on an hour and a half before lights and I suspect could be longer but will see how ph goes. So far seems to be struggling to get under a ph of 7 and I want it down to 6.9 or 6.8 while the lfs guy takes his ph down to 6.7 with co2 injection.

Lights are high light. Foxtail floating around is going beautifully. Stem plants of giant hygro and also val are struggling with BBA. I definitely had a potassium and then maybe a phosphate deficiency (dry ferts arrived last week), but I'm also not happy with the gravel substrate. I'd like to replace it with something better however that would be pretty costly and a big job. Lol, should of got cichlids for this tank like everyone else seems to do here.

Good luck with everything. Sound like you are little frustrated. I'm pretty happy with my low light/excel for CO2 setup. My plants are growing again but after I solved the iron deficiency I think I started to see signs of potassium deficiency. So I'm trying a new dosing schedule this week. We'll see how it goes. It definitely is trail and error and when you think you've got it figured out, something changes and you've got to get everything dialed back in. Hoping you figure out how to get the results you are looking for!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

:). Tempted to change some of the plants and try plants that are more water column feeders. The hygro is shooting up but the BBA is bleh...

:). Tempted to change some of the plants and try plants that are more water column feeders. The hygro is shooting up but the BBA is bleh...

Is BBA, black beard algae or something else? I don't know all the abbreviations yet. I think I may be seeing some of this starting in my tank but I just did a 50% water change yesterday and it seems have appeared overnight as couple of small black spots. My plant combination is 2 different root feeders and the rest are water column feeders. I'll have to go do some reading and see if I can figure out where I need to make some changes. And I was just starting to see growth again in my plants! This plant growing business is definitely a challenge! Good luck to you and let me know if you figure anything out.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I answered my own question and I just finished reading this thread on another forum. Thought you might find it interesting. I definitely think I have high organics right now which seems to be a common thought cause. Makes sense in my tank with all the other factors I'm dealing with. I just started another thread about gravel vacuuming because I think that may be part of my problem. How do you vacuum your gravel well without disturbing your plants?

I skip it now and just kind of swirl the vac above the plants. This helps humus build up in the gravel which is good for plants (not ideal for fish I suspect). I do run 2 canisters so there is a bit of water flow to kind of sweep stuff along. Yourself?

Gosh, been a bit slack on testing. Tested last night and got 116ppm potassium. Test reading still seems high but I guess gives me an idea of what is going on. I have increased my K dosing so perhaps possible compared to last reading.

Sorry that was actually two nights ago. Last night added 15ppm K and same tonight.

Just finished testing. Got to buy 2ml syringes - stuffing around with 1ml syringes to knock air bubbles out and measure 1ml is stupid....

Anyways got 88ppm.

Scribbled more notes on dosing schedule and decided to bump K dosing over the week from 52 to 72ppm.

Still have leaves curling and getting pinholes at base of giant hygro / dropping off so seems to need more potassium.

It's just the giant hygro that is suffering and gets BBA on base of stem. It just grows so quick I'm constantly cutting off tops and replanting out old BBA covered ones. Progress I guess.

Val doing ok. Some other plant has grown into a thick bush of a dozen stems and suffers little BBA issues.

Back
Top Bottom