Coralife 4X65 48" light problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinman

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I had a pair of these lights for about 2 months and then one day one of the actinics went out on one of the fixtures. Called my fish guy who I bought them from and he brought over a new bulb. Swapped it out but still not working.

He felt it may be a bad ballast. He took the light with him. Called a week later and confirmed the ballast was bad, and oh by the way, the other 3 bulbs (which were working fine before) are now bad too. Could this be?
Are these lights that touchy?

I got a deal on this light because the clear acrylic bulb cover is cracked at the end. There's about a 3" opening on one end which exposes the bulbs to the salt air above the tank. My fish guy didn't think that would cause the light to fail. But I'm wondering.

Comments?

Mike

It will cause those lights to fail. Been there done that. Thats why I just purchased my MH set up. Had to different fixtures go at the same time due to the salt and moisture. It can also cause a fire. I seen flames with mine....

Welcome to the downside of Coralife. IME, they are a great price, but you sometimes play roulette with the longevity of the unit. I have a 2x65w on my 55g that has lasted 2 years, but another unit where the salt corroded the bulb connection through the unit and caused it to fail.

Make your own metal halide setup for 1/3 the price. I made a 175 watt setup for 100 bucks then added 2 10w actinics for 40 bucks. My tank is 37 gal :)

So, it sounds like a DIY MH set up may be in my future.
But is MH overkill for a FOWLR? To tell the truth, when all 4 bulbs are on during the day, it appears too bright (for me). But I like a more subdued look.

Til then, I probably should get a new acrylic cover.

Mike

If I were you , I would not get a MH set up unless you plan on going reef someday. Heat, Electric, money, issues that you dont need.....

Frankly, I will no longer buy Coralife products. I've had nothing but problems

Back
Top Bottom