Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Coralife 65

Just hooked up a coralife 65 skimmer not seeing any bubbles don't know if I have to wait or should I see some in the when I first turn it on

Old 08-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It may take a few days, skimmers take time to break in. The oils from the plastic, manufacturing process, peoples hands, ect don't allow the bubbles to rise up enough to spill into the collection cup, they pop too soon. After a few days a bio-film forms allowing the bubbles to turn into a foam that rises up and over into the cup.

But you should have bubbles in the main body of the skimmer right? Just no foam building up?
If you have no bubbles anywhere then something is wrong.

Check out where the air intake is for the skimmer. I am not familiar with the coralife, but there should be a tube going to somewhere around the pump, it may have a valve on it it may not , make sure it's letting air get into the pump.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratj1
It may take a few days, skimmers take time to break in. The oils from the plastic, manufacturing process, peoples hands, ect don't allow the bubbles to rise up enough to spill into the collection cup, they pop too soon. After a few days a bio-film forms allowing the bubbles to turn into a foam that rises up and over into the cup.

But you should have bubbles in the main body of the skimmer right? Just no foam building up?
If you have no bubbles anywhere then something is wrong.

Check out where the air intake is for the skimmer. I am not familiar with the coralife, but there should be a tube going to somewhere around the pump, it may have a valve on it it may not , make sure it's letting air get into the pump.
O ok I think that's it I have bubbles lots but just not foam I'll wait a couples of days and would it mater if I have nothing but a peace of live rock in the tank
Old 08-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

It shouldn't matter at all wats in the tank really. It still will take a few days to really get going good. The coralife skimmers are pretty good for the price. Just really touchy when tryin to set it to the right level.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My CSS 125 took several weeks to break in. I had to tweak it many, many times. I wish I would have known to just save up some more money and buy a better skimmer. The cheap plastic on mine snapped one day when I was cleaning it. I was not using excessive force, just pulling off a tube. So yeah, it lasted maybe a year and wasn't all that great even when it was running. Ended up being a total waste of money for me. If there's any way you can return it, that would be my honest recommendation.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama
My CSS 125 took several weeks to break in. I had to tweak it many, many times. I wish I would have known to just save up some more money and buy a better skimmer. The cheap plastic on mine snapped one day when I was cleaning it. I was not using excessive force, just pulling off a tube. So yeah, it lasted maybe a year and wasn't all that great even when it was running. Ended up being a total waste of money for me. If there's any way you can return it, that would be my honest recommendation.
I got it from my lfs 15 css65 I guess for the money I can't beat it
Old 08-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoteccs

I got it from my lfs 15 css65 I guess for the money I can't beat it
I got the skimmer working just had to rise the pump like an inch below the water line and it kicked rite in

Tags
coral, coralife

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com