Coralife Aqualight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fddlss

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Coralife Aqualight 48" Double Strip (4x65W) with new flourescent lights. I had to change one ballast that wasn't working, so I ordered it online and I replaced it today, everything was working perfectly but now (less then 2 hours latter) it seems like the ballast I replaced is not working, is not the light because I tested it and it's working. It's just the ballast again, what can be wrong? The wiring is fine. Also, I don't know if this might have something to do, but one of the two fans that the fixture has is not working, can that perhaps cause the ballast to overheat and fail?

Thanks in advance.

you say with new lights.... are they different or coralife bulbs that are made for it? usually 48'' double strip is 2x54w t5 h.o. right? ohhhh,,,,you have compact fluorescents? hmmmm...

you say with new lights.... are they different or coralife bulbs that are made for it? usually 48'' double strip is 2x54w t5 h.o. right? ohhhh,,,,you have compact fluorescents? hmmmm...

They are new replacement bulbs but from Coralife (brand) and made for that fixture (65W 10,000K, 2 blue, 2 white). Compact Fluorescent, not H5.

One thing I just found out, the bulb I had on that "replaced" ballast, that worked for an hour or so, is no longer working and non of the other lights are working when connected to that ballast, but they are working when connected to another ballast; However, the bulb that was there when the ballast stopped working is no longer working even if I move it to another connector. I don't know if that indicates something or not but I just thought it could be helpful.

Thanks again.

Disregard the last part from my reply. ALL lights are working, even the one that was connected to the ballast that stopped working. It wasn't working when I moved it to another ballast to test it, but now is working again. In conclusion, it's just the ballast that stopped working. Old ballast wasn't working, new one stopped working less than two hours after being installed, and one of the two fans is not working.

to bad... i burned a couple a.g.a. ballasts using a coralife high intesity 'super daylight' 10,000k t-8 bulb, under 60 day warrenty( lucky for me), they worked great for 20 minutes then dimmed a little, then fried the all glass aquarium electronic light strips.

to bad... i burned a couple a.g.a. ballasts using a coralife high intesity 'super daylight' 10,000k t-8 bulb, under 60 day warrenty( lucky for me), they worked great for 20 minutes then dimmed a little, then fried the all glass aquarium electronic light strips.

Yeah, it's sucks, but hey, it's not the end of the world... I will have an electrician check it and if I have to buy another ballast I will probably start saving to buy a new fixture and fix this one in the future to use it with another aquarium or something. That ballast, including shipping and taxes, cost around $44, because it's the old model. I already spent too much money on this light: new ballast, 4 new tubes, new end plastic caps, clear mounting legs. If I have to buy a new ballast I will end up buying the fan that's not working, they sell you both fans for $40 shipping included.

ya, there you go, i would be suspect of getting more of the same, though you could use it for spare parts or getting it running for cheap then put it on a new tank is good maybe a different kind of ballast would work.

You think a 48" fixture is enough for a 5 Ft. tank or the fixture needs to be the same length as the tank no matter what? It's a freshwater tank I will be stocking it with cichlids or arowanas. I want to go with saltwater in the future but not now.

Thanks, guys.

Doing research on lights. Based on quality, durability and functionality. A fixture that's a more than enough for freshwater and maybe good for saltwater, too, because I might have a reef set up in the future, but just freshwater for now.

Also, please let me know if I'm missing any good brands/fixture models.

I really like the 24 hour fixture from Marineland and I think is good for both, salt and fresh.

Coralife - 48" Lunar Aqualight Compact Fluorescent Fixture - $290

Curent USA Nova - 48" TrueLumen Pro LED Strip Light, Marine Fusion 12K White/453nm Actinic - $200
Current USA Nova - 48" Nova Extreme T5HO w/4 Lunar Lights - $250

Marineland - 48" Sophisticated 24-Hour Lighting System - $750
Marineland - T5 48" Deluxe Strip Light Fixture 48" 216 Watts - $250

AquaticLife - Light 48" Compact Fluorescent 4 Lamp 4 Lunar - $400
AquaticLife - Light 48" TH HO 4 Lamp 4 Lunar - $380

wow, then you should splurge, if you are goin' to get a reef that would be a nice unit...its really hard to pick, i wouldnt want to steer you away from one you like. 200watts on a 55-75g can grow most plants, but if you want nice corals and hard corals and stuff you will want more...i will look into all of them a little better...

Thanks.

I will get a reef eventually, but in 2 years or more, so I don't think I should worry about that now. With the Coralife fixture I will we at 2.2 Watts per gallon, which is enough to grow Vallisnerias as I will stock the tank with africans. I think the price is not that bad, their company is reputable, and 4x65W CF plus the moonlights should do it. When it's time to set up the reef I will see what I get then. My long term plans are: an African tank that I'm setting up now, an Amazonic tank, a reef, and a native tank with fish from Uruguay, but this is are my future plans, only africans for now...

Thanks!! At first I wanted a community aquarium, but that's not the best thing to do if you like Africans and Amazonian, so it's a good excuse to get more tanks! lol

Back
Top Bottom