Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Coralife Aqualight

I have a Coralife Aqualight 48" Double Strip (4x65W) with new flourescent lights. I had to change one ballast that wasn't working, so I ordered it online and I replaced it today, everything was working perfectly but now (less then 2 hours latter) it seems like the ballast I replaced is not working, is not the light because I tested it and it's working. It's just the ballast again, what can be wrong? The wiring is fine. Also, I don't know if this might have something to do, but one of the two fans that the fixture has is not working, can that perhaps cause the ballast to overheat and fail?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #2

you say with new lights.... are they different or coralife bulbs that are made for it? usually 48'' double strip is 2x54w t5 h.o. right? ohhhh,,,,you have compact fluorescents? hmmmm...

Old 03-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogle View Post
you say with new lights.... are they different or coralife bulbs that are made for it? usually 48'' double strip is 2x54w t5 h.o. right? ohhhh,,,,you have compact fluorescents? hmmmm...
They are new replacement bulbs but from Coralife (brand) and made for that fixture (65W 10,000K, 2 blue, 2 white). Compact Fluorescent, not H5.

One thing I just found out, the bulb I had on that "replaced" ballast, that worked for an hour or so, is no longer working and non of the other lights are working when connected to that ballast, but they are working when connected to another ballast; However, the bulb that was there when the ballast stopped working is no longer working even if I move it to another connector. I don't know if that indicates something or not but I just thought it could be helpful.

Thanks again.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Disregard the last part from my reply. ALL lights are working, even the one that was connected to the ballast that stopped working. It wasn't working when I moved it to another ballast to test it, but now is working again. In conclusion, it's just the ballast that stopped working. Old ballast wasn't working, new one stopped working less than two hours after being installed, and one of the two fans is not working.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:20 AM   #5

to bad... i burned a couple a.g.a. ballasts using a coralife high intesity 'super daylight' 10,000k t-8 bulb, under 60 day warrenty( lucky for me), they worked great for 20 minutes then dimmed a little, then fried the all glass aquarium electronic light strips.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogle View Post
to bad... i burned a couple a.g.a. ballasts using a coralife high intesity 'super daylight' 10,000k t-8 bulb, under 60 day warrenty( lucky for me), they worked great for 20 minutes then dimmed a little, then fried the all glass aquarium electronic light strips.
Yeah, it's sucks, but hey, it's not the end of the world... I will have an electrician check it and if I have to buy another ballast I will probably start saving to buy a new fixture and fix this one in the future to use it with another aquarium or something. That ballast, including shipping and taxes, cost around $44, because it's the old model. I already spent too much money on this light: new ballast, 4 new tubes, new end plastic caps, clear mounting legs. If I have to buy a new ballast I will end up buying the fan that's not working, they sell you both fans for $40 shipping included.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:37 AM   #7

ya, there you go, i would be suspect of getting more of the same, though you could use it for spare parts or getting it running for cheap then put it on a new tank is good maybe a different kind of ballast would work.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

You think a 48" fixture is enough for a 5 Ft. tank or the fixture needs to be the same length as the tank no matter what? It's a freshwater tank I will be stocking it with cichlids or arowanas. I want to go with saltwater in the future but not now.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chances are a 5ft fixture would still use 4ft bulbs.
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Basically, you are saying that a 60" fixture or a 48", both, would probably use, in this case, 4x 21" bulbs?

Tags
coral, coralife, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com