Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Coralife Aqualight - Changing Megnetic Ballast's to Electronic

Hey all,

My Coralife Aqualight 150w MH OEM Meganetic Ballasts started buzzing, so I bought 2 LuXcore Selectable Wattage Metal Halide Electronic Ballast (150W - 250W).

Tracing the wires from the HQI sockets, I come across this device (See Picture).

I know this is an "Ignighter", I am assuming it's part of the Megnetic ballast system and that I would remove it when installing the new electronic ballast, connecting the HQI sockets directly to the new ballast? (I assume the electronic ballast has the ignighter built in?)

The instructions in the very brief manual that came with the ballast shows the HQI socket connected directly to the ballast.

Thanks!

-TheChad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1088.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	143609  

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Okay, for anyone that may want/need to know..

YES, remove the Ignighter. Connect the Electronic Ballast directly to the HQI socket's.

Now my next question is... The built in fan was wired to one of the ballast's before the ignighter.

Since the ignigher is built into the electronic ballast and the ballast directly connect's to the HQI socket, can the fan still be connected to the black/white wires from the ballast? or do I need to find another power source for the fan?

Thanks!

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballast, changing, coral, coralife, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com