Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Coralife MH 48" hood

I received my Coralife hood last Thursday. I had posted on here about a lighting modification because the feet used to mount the hood of the tank were not made to fit the 72G bowfront because that tank is not wide enough.

After looking at the hood for a while I found a VERY easy solution. For those of you that have this hood, you will know what I am talking about and hopefully will use this method as well.

All I did was mount the legs backwards. Instead of having the legs flare away from the hood, I mounted them so that they would flare in. Now the angle is not too severe so stability is not a problem, and by doing this the hood fits perfectly on the tank.

So, that was my revelation on Friday. Hope this helps for anyone that was interested in this fixture.

tripper

Old 01-10-2005, 10:40 AM   #2

Glad you figured out a solution. I will keep that in mind for future reference. Thanks again!

Old 01-10-2005, 11:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wonderful. I am glad it worked out. Do you have a glass top on your tank? Let me know if you have a temp increase with the new hood. Thanks! Lando
Old 01-10-2005, 05:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you post a pic of the inverted legs? I am curious to see how it looks. Thanks...Lando
Old 01-10-2005, 05:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'll take some pics tonight and post them tomorrow when i get back to work

tripper
Old 01-11-2005, 11:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

how is that fixture effecting the tank temp so far?
Old 01-11-2005, 12:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

How high off of the tank is the unit? Do you have a glass top on it?

Thanks!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Kewl... glad you found a way to make it work....
Old 01-11-2005, 12:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry I haven't gotten pics yet, spent the night trying to figure out how to save a sick RBTA but it didn't make it.

To answer your questions:

1) So far it hasn't effected the temp of the tank too much. However, I am only running about a 6hr photoperiod right now. My tank fluctuates between 80 during the night to almost 81-82 during the day. As long as it stays that low I am not too concerned.

2) The unit is about 4-5" above the tank. No, I do not have glass on the tank. This will cause a little more evaporation, but it allows for a lot more gas exchange and the MH bulbs are high enough that there is almost no chance of any water hitting them and causing problems.

tripper
Old 06-09-2005, 09:32 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so I got the fixture, I got the tank, I got the water in it, and I've got the light sitting on tp of the aquarium.

But I have 1 real big problem, whe I try to mount the legs on backward (arching in) they arch to far and they don't touch the side of the tank. Am I missing something?

Basically how the light is on the tank right now is the back two legs are on the normal and i just slid the front ones until I got just a little piece of the leg on the lip of the tank and it is sturdy enough to stay there until I get home from work today.

I was just trying to go off of memory of this thread when I was installing the light, and i think i may have it figured out now....... lets see if this makes sense:

basically, if the leggs are on correctly, take the one from the front and put it on the back then put the back one on the front, but leave the way the legs curve the same? does that sound right or is there something else?

Tags
coral, coralife, hood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com