Coralife skimmer vs. Marineland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do you guys think my 100 gallon tank would benefit from this skimmer here?

Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel - up to 220 Gallon - eBay (item 180389343681 end time Aug-26-09 09:36:55 PDT)

I am currently using the Marineland 100 skimmer here:

Marineland Advance Series IN-SUMP Protein Skimmer 100 - eBay (item 350234184448 end time Aug-30-09 05:16:33 PDT)

Would the Coralife being a much bigger skimmer and it does up to 220 gallon tank benefit my system more at all? Or do you guys think the fact that the Marineland handles 100 gallons is plenty? I gotta say I do like the space saving design and it's very easy to use.

I feel like I played it safe, I should've gone for the 300 gallon model of the Marineland, but it's to expensive :(

So far the Marineland seems to work great, I just wished I'd not played it so safe and I would've gone for the larger 300 Marineland model.

Steve

The CSS is not that good of a skimmer and would be a waste of $ as an upgrade to your current skimmer....which isn't all that good either(sorry).
If you want to upgrade, look into an Octopus NWB150 or NWB 200.

Hey everyone is entitled to their opinion, I happen to love the Marineland skimmers. Every other skimmer I've used (including the Coralife Super Skimming models) I never could get setup properly. Why have two seperate knobs for height of water and bubble height? The Marineland has one knob for all and I love the space saving design. They're just a little overpriced if I do say so myself, but hey I guess you get what you pay for.

Saying that since I have the 100 model and love it so much I just went ahead and bought the 300 model! Instead of the usual price of $300 charged I got it for what I paid for my marineland 100 model, which is $240. So I am really really excited! Can't wait until it gets here.

Marineland Advanced In-Sump Protein Skimmer 300 Gal - eBay (item 360170804990 end time Aug-14-09 00:32:52 PDT)

How come your not a fan of the marineland skimmers? I could understand the CSS.

Steve

Hey everyone is entitled to their opinion, I happen to love the Marineland skimmers.
Nothing wrong with that. If your happy, that's what counts. You are free to spend your money as you see fit. So far you spent $480 and still don't have a good skimmer.
How come your not a fan of the marineland skimmers? I could understand the CSS.
Because I understand how a skimmer works and the Marineland is a poor design with a crappy pump. Very similar design as the CSS. No matter what you do, that Maxijet will not pull enough air for good skimming, plus the neck is too narrow to allow lots of air to be pumped into it. No offense, but you only think that's a good skimmer because you probably never saw or used a good skimmer.

This may be a little more technical than you want to read, but it might give you a better understanding.
The Development of a Method for the Quantitative Evaluation of Protein Skimmer Performance

Last edited:
Actually I like it mainly the fact it doesn't have an external pump, hoses and such. Every skimmer I've used and seen I disliked because it took up way to much room in my sump. Why not just have the pump located inside the skimmer like the Marineland models? This to me is just very easy to work, one knob to control the height of water and bubbles instead of having two seperate knobs. I like it very much for the fact the pump is located in the bottom of the skimmer.

And actually I do plan on selling the 100 model for $100 so at least I can make up some of the money. I already have a friend lined up for it actually.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom