Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2005, 08:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Coralife super skimmer?

Alright I just recently bought the coralife super skimmer 65 for my 46 gallon bow front. I didn't realize until I finished installing the thing. It doesn't fit! Well It hangs on the back of the tank fine but the outlets pumping in and out the water sticks out too much. My glass canopy just doesn't allow enough room on the back. So the back of the glass canopy over laps the tubing and just sits over it. Anyone know what to do or has encountered and went around the problem? Would it be feasible to just cut the glass canopy an extra 1/2'" inch shorter? Or is it just too much trouble? Or did I just buy a skimmer that's too big for my tank?

Old 10-19-2005, 06:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
most members here are likely going to tell you that going without the glass canopy is a great idea.
too big for your tank 8O 8O 8O Im not so sure if there is such a thing (more power!! :P ) ok.. that was a bit of a joke.. but a skimmer would have to be way to big to even start considering the too big argument IMHO.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have one of these.. works well, but the in-tank parts are huge! The pump is a rio 1100 which is just big to begin with, and the bubble diffuser is large too. I'm going to try to do some creative plumbing to try to get the pump out of the display... alas, no sump for now.

Have questions about satellite tv? Visit us at http://www.dbstalk.com
neilster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:06 AM   #4

Nothing's ever too big. To think I was going to get the 220 model for it. Luckily I didn't. lol

But like Neilster said. The in-tank parts are huge! The pump and the bubble diffuser looks huge and out of place. But that doesn't matter. It's just I like the look of the canopy. And it makes me feel better about critters jumping out. Happened too me quite a few times already with jumpers. And I just bought and ordered the glass canopy too.

How big is your tank Nielster? And do you have anything covering the tank at all? I want to do a sump but it's in my bedroom right next to my head. I'm an extremely light sleeper. Little noise as possible.
60 lbs sand
2 aquaclear 50 powerheads
coralife super skimmer 65
pair of true perculas
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:39 PM   #5

I searched around the forum and decided to ditch the glasstops. Another thing I might be ditching is my HOB Emperor 400 filter. I have 30 lbs of base rock and soon to be 25 lbs of live rock and the CSS 65 for filtering. This is good right? It'll keep my water crystal clear? It feels wierd not to have a conventional filter since I always over filter on my FW tanks. This would do the job at keeping the tank clean?
60 lbs sand
pair of true perculas
Old 11-01-2005, 10:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
1.5-2lb per gallon total LR and baserock with a good skimmer is the recomended filtration with the berlin method.. the CSS 125 might have been a good pick, Ive seen on other boards people use the 65 on nano's LOL :P
most posts Ive seen about the 220 say that its a good skimmer for a 125 gallon tops.. but the CSS 65 has alot more foam.. meaning its likely closer to its size range.. your likley fine.. tell us how much and how think that skimmiulate is
Old 11-05-2005, 01:38 PM   #7

The CSS 65 on nano's? lol

Well this tank is my going to be my practice tank. Once I feel comfortable in the hobby I'll go all out on a 240 or bigger.
60 lbs sand
pair of true perculas
Old 11-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I searched around the forum and decided to ditch the glasstops.

Quote:
Another thing I might be ditching is my HOB Emperor 400 filter.
With enough biological filtration you may not need your emperor. I would, however, suggest that you keep it. It does a bit of flow to the tank and it gives you a great place to run chemical filtration such as chemi-pure. It provides some nice mechanical filtration for "water polishing" as well. Ditch the biowheels one at a time. Just food for thought.

Tags
coral, coralife, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com