Coralife Super Skimmer - First Thoughts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey All,

I got my Coralife Super Skimmer Today the 65g version for my 55g tank. I am actually very dissapointed thus far.

Right off the get go, the thing is huge. Using it as a HOB unit is very unsightly. Next, I plugged it in following the directions step by step, and the thing istantly over flows water all over the floor. I have to keep the water level adjustment all the way down to stop it from over flowing water into the cup. and that's with the flow valve only 1/2 way open!!

Then it has the Bubble difuser, that is suppose to stop microbubbles from getting to the tank, it doen't work very well, as there are plenty of micro bubbles coming out of the difuser. That part doen't much matter to me as I don't have any coral, and don't expect to get any, but It's the point...

To top it off and make it all worse, it is LOUD. It has a very loud HUMM.

All-in-all I am just very dissapointed. As for how it works, I don't really have anything to compair it to, so I can't say out of any experience if it works better or worse than another unit.. It's making some foam...

Questions: What is an 03 Ozone Operation? They talk about in the directions? Is the Difuser suppose to over flow water? Which type of skimming is preferred? Wet or Dry?

Thanks,

-TheChad

I love mine. I have the same one and it works great now. Hey that is how they work right out of the box give it some time. You need to let it run for a little. The macro bubbles will go away. I had the same problem for the first week but after that it works great. I change the collection cup 2-3 times a week(very dark). If you have a sticker place it over the little hole on the lid from the collection cup and let it run with that on. No water will come up in the cup and drain on the floor. I would say let it run for around 12 hours like that. Take off the sticker and it should start working. Thats what I did and it works fine now. As for the loud sound I dont know mine doesnt do that. I have the same one for my 55.

I just found out now that the skimmer is soo big, the glass wont fit back on the tank, and the canopy wont fit either..

I think I am going to end up getting a Sump for the tank, so I don't have to look at the Skimmer, and heater...

Off topic question: Can the canister filter intake go in the sump too, or should that stay in the main tank?

Thanks,

-TheChad

I have been mostly happy with my Coralife Skimmer. After about a week, it is very quiet and does an excellent job skimming pure filth from my water...:)

Every time I unplug it, I have a million airbubbles when I turn it back on, but after a few hours, that quiets down, and it goes back to doing a good job. Everyone complains about how huge it is and how much "real estate" it takes up, I guess it doesn't really bother me that much...If I ever get a sump, I'll definitely move it, but I don't think it really looks that bad...

Paul

Chad, I'll trade you mine for yours. I have a Seaclone 100 in pristine condition for my 100 gal and I think I need a bigger skimmer. I paid about $100 for it on Ebay. Works great. Sells for about $120 new.

I came home from work today, the micro bubbles have stopped, and it does sound a little quieter.. Hopefully it will get even more quiet...

I am going to go out and shop for a sump today, It is just too big to be an HOB....

Anyone got any input on the wet or dry SKimming?

Thanks,

-TheChad

Man, I hope mine does ok. Just got it in the mail a couple days ago. Should I start running it while I am cycling my tank, or wait until after the cycle?

Back
Top Bottom