Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2005, 09:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Coralife Super Skimmer-Needle Wheel

Anyone have any experience with this skimmer?

2 clowns - 1 damsels - 1 royal gramma - 1 coral banded shrimp - 1 cleaner shimp - 1 emerald crabs - assortment of snails and hermits - sandsifting star - orange starfish - 1 hammer - 1 bubble - 1 toadstool - 1 small colony of zoos
SpEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

What size is your tank and which model will you get. I have a 15gal and I needed at least 10 inches from the intake to the skimmer- tubing wise- the cup overflowed WAY TOO FAST. Only thing is I cut it to 8 inches. Then I had to manually raise it using old nasty wood for the time being. I raised it about 8 inches. Man was tonight a pain. Other than that, now that its set up, its quiet, runs smooths, and I'm very glad for the purchase.

If you set this up as a HOT on your sump, it should be a breeze. I had to deal with my PH and my lights and my filter, and oh man was it a pain.

Its been breaking in about 1 hour now, it over flowed a bit and the water in the cup is soooo dark, it amazes me.

whoops, I just saw you sig. If you but it in your main tank, it should be fine.

read this very helpful: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=563298

Coco Worm
Feather Duster
Cleanup Crew
21# LR
20#LS
----------------------------------
Coralife Aqualight
-36W 10000K
-36W Actinic
Coralife Super Skimmer 65
Aquaclear 50 filter
Aquaclear 20 ph
Marineland Visitherm 50W heater
lasek2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the link. I had found it while doing a web search. I was thinking about getting the 125.

The owner at my LFS (this place is trustworthy, in my opinion, based on multiple experiences over the past several years) suggested the 65, stating it work just fine. It caught my interest, because he probably could have sold me a more expensive and bigger one if he had wanted. I was originally looking at the Bak Pak, he said the coralife was much better and that a 125 would be an overkill.I am still a little hesitant, based off what i have read here.

If I get one, I am going to get the 125 simple since it is only about $40 more.
2 clowns - 1 damsels - 1 royal gramma - 1 coral banded shrimp - 1 cleaner shimp - 1 emerald crabs - assortment of snails and hermits - sandsifting star - orange starfish - 1 hammer - 1 bubble - 1 toadstool - 1 small colony of zoos
SpEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Its a good idea to get the 125. From all the hours of research I've done on protein skimmers, almost everyone says get a skimmer rated MUCH higher than yours. So to actually hear someone recommend to get a skimmer rated for 65 gallons to be put on a 75 gallons tank sounds a bit...."fishy"

Plus theres a drain tube in the 125 and 220 so if your wet skimming and getting alot of skimmate a drain tube to a bucket will help keep your worries away.

Hope you will put this as a HOT for your sump because the pump is big.

Tags
coral, coralife, eel, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com