Coralife Super Skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a quick question about the Coralife Super Skimmer. Basically I just wanted to be sure that they are good for the tank size they are rated at...I have a 60g tank, and was looking at the one rated for 65g. I've read where some skimmers really don't perform at the level they are advertised at, so I wanted to be sure this one would handle my tank before I bought it.

Thanks

Truthfully, when looking at what a product is rated for i always expect them to under perform no matter what company it is. I have a Coralife SS 220. I have it running on my 75g FO. I am extremely pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone. I would however go at least one size bigger than the 65 for your 65g tank. I believe thats the 125g and it couldn't hurt to get the 220g if you have the extra money. Its always better to be over do it than to come up short.

Heya Quil

Are you planning to use the skimmer set up in HOB mode, or is it going into a sump. I have the Coralife 125 model, and now that it's starting to break in, it seems like it's going to be a good skimmer. Mine is a sump install though. I don't think I would want it as a HOB, it's a monster size-wise.

With all the good reports I've seen on the forum here, I'm going to replace my "not-so-hot" prizm skimmer on my 50 gallon with an AquaC Remora, but have heard generally good comments on the coralife 65 too. Good luck :)

ColdFish said:
Heya Quil

Are you planning to use the skimmer set up in HOB mode, or is it going into a sump. I have the Coralife 125 model, and now that it's starting to break in, it seems like it's going to be a good skimmer. Mine is a sump install though. I don't think I would want it as a HOB, it's a monster size-wise.

With all the good reports I've seen on the forum here, I'm going to replace my "not-so-hot" prizm skimmer on my 50 gallon with an AquaC Remora, but have heard generally good comments on the coralife 65 too. Good luck :)

I have had a CSS 125 for quite some time...for many months it produced a bunch over very thick and smelly gook that I had to empty about twice a week.

Recently, however (for the past month or two), I have had very mixed results - either very, very wet skimmate, or almost none. I have had a hard time throttling it correctly, even though I haven't changed my procedure at all. I do clean the collection cup regularly.

Has anyone had any long-term experience with this skimmer, and issues like this?

Luckycat I am having the same experiences with my 125...I think its just temperamental. But I will say I say I do still like it especially for the price I paid..

Yes, I'm planning on using it as a HOB, since I don't have a sump. It's going to be a FOWLR tank with about 70 pounds of live rock. Just want to make sure I'm getting enough filtration, because I'm considering a fuzzy dwarf lionfish for the tank and I know their bioload is significant.

Back
Top Bottom