Coralife support.....ha ha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccCapt

SW 20 & Over Club
I was cleaning my skimmer and found the ceramic shaft inside the pump on my Coralife CSS 125 was broken into 3 pieces. I know I can go to the local hobby shop and pick up a piece of stainless steel rod to replace it, but I figured I would contact Coralife to see if I can get a replacement from them. The following is 2 days worth of emails between me and Coralife.

me: I purchased a Coralife CSS 125 skimmer and the ceramic rod in the impeller cracked into multiple pieces. Can you tell me how I can get a replacement for this piece?
Thank you

Coralife: When was this item bought?

me: I bought it from Drs Foster & Smith aprox. 18 months ago.

Coralife: Do you have the receipt or a copy of the invoice?

me: I'm at work now, but I doubt I have the receipt. I'll check when I get home to see if I have the box and/or invoices. I just want to know how I can get the small ceramic shaft on the impeller inside the pump. I'm not looking to have the whole skimmer replaced.

Coralife: Well I still need to see the receipt before I do anything.

me: I can't find any invoices, however I can scan the UPC code from the bottom of the box if that helps.

Coralife: I apologize but we need either an actual receipt or a copy of either a credit card or bank statement showing that the item was purchased. I again apologize for the inconvenience.

me: I am somewhat confused here. Why do you need a receipt from me showing I bought the skimmer when I just want to purchase a part? I am not asking for anything for free. So, for the third time.....I just want to know how I can get a replacement shaft for the impeller.

Coralife: Then you will have to go to a store then to get the replacement part because we do not sell to the public.

me: OK, that’s fine. Can you tell me what stores carry your parts and what the part number is? I see nothing on Drs Foster Smith for parts where I purchased it and I see no parts at Marine Depot either.

Now this has been going on for 2 days, and maybe tomorrow (day 3) will bring me the answer I am looking for. Needless to say, with support like this I don't see myself buying any Coralife products in the future.
End of rant. :?

That`s a shame. I have several coralife products. I hope I dont have those kind of problems. I hope you get it straight.

I understand your frustration. Sometimes it is easier to go up the chain and ask for a supervisor. I had a simmilar problem with my mortgage company. My monthly payment was around $877 and I paid $788 one month, by accident. When I went to refinance, it came up on my credit so I called the mortgage company. The first person I spoke to said there was nothing she could do, even though I was never late on a payment. I thanked her for her help and asked for her manager. I explained to her manager that she was very polite and professional and explained my mistake. She said she would take it off my credit and send me a confirmation. If she didn't help me, I would have gone up to her manager.... Good luck!

This just keeps getting better and better. Here's the latest response from Coralife.

The only stores I know about are Petco, Petsmart, and Wal-Mart. Otherwise the only information I have access too is for our distributors. I will send the part number in my next email.

This has got to be a joke. I don't really go to any of those places for SW stuff and I find it hard to believe Wal-Mart carries their skimmer, let alone parts for it.

I guess my lunch time today will be spent going to the hobby store for a stainless steel rod.

Agree with neilanh... call the good Doctors. Their customer support people I've found have been great. They'll actually support the products they sell, unlike the manufacturer who sounds like they should have at least one opening in their customer support department. Doesn't seem like you're asking for the world... just a part number! Heaven forbid my lights need a part. Ack!

I called Drs Foster Smith and they were helpful, but they are not sure they can get me the part I need. They took my cell # down and said they would call me when they find out if there is anything they can do. They did have a good laugh when I told them Coralife told me to go to Wal-Mart for the parts.

Drs Foster Smith are fantastic, but when I needed a replacement part for my eheim canister, I ended up calling Big Als to get the part.

I got home from work today and Drs Foster Smith left me a message. They can't get me the ceramic shaft only. I need to buy the entire impeller..for the low price of $29.99 + $9.99 shipping. 8O

hmmmmm....maybe I should return the $3.00 carbon fiber rod I got from the hobby shop......nah, I think not!

Needless to say, Coralife never replied back with the part # so I can go to Wal-Mart to get the part. :roll: I've used Coralife products for well over 15 years, but that has now come to an abrupt end.

Back
Top Bottom