Coralife UV Ballast (4-wire) vs Odyssea UV Ballast (3 Wire)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I have a Coralife 6x UV Sterilizer, the ballast has gone out (This is the 2nd time), So rather than pay the outrageous price Coralife wants for a new ballast, I purchased a Odyssea UV Ballast from ebay for 1/4 of the price and just figured I would cut the cord and solder/wire it to the Coralife socket...

Well When I cut the cord, the Coralife cord/ballast has 4 wires, the Odyssea only has 3 wires....

Does anyone know anything about this? The bulb socket has 4 pins, so one would think there would be 4 wires...

Thanks!

-TheChad

Well, standard T5 & T8 bulbs also use 4 pins. Some ballasts have Red, Blue, Yellow, & Yellow; others have Red, Blue, & Yellow. The Yellows are common in either case, only difference is whether they bring 1 wire or 2 out of the ballast.

What colors are the wires in the old and new ballasts?

I figured it out... The Coralife ballast has the starter inside the ballast. The Oddssey ballast the starter is behind the bulb socket...

So I cut the starter out of the Oddssey cap and wired it into the 4 wire coralife harmess!

-TheChad

Back
Top Bottom