Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Corallife power outlet

Thinking about getting a coralife outlet. Whats a wave maker do i need it? also whats with all these fancy timers? anyone selling any?

Old 10-18-2005, 12:02 AM   #2

A wave maker is a simple device that turns multiple powerheads on and off in different cycles opposite each other. Ever been out in the ocean and feel that pull forward in the water column and then suddenly backward. Thats what a wavemaker is supposed to simulate in a reef tank giving you inhabitants a more realistic enviroment to live in. They also promote good flow inside of your reef tank to make sure no spots in it stagnate, not the best word for that but within the right idea. Timers on the other hand make taking care of corals and inverts a lot easier. The best example is being able to put to tank on a set lighting schedule so none of the inhabitants become stressed from crazy lighting schedules. I think a good rule of thumb is 12 to 10 hours of light and the rest off, a timer does this very nicely for a reef or planted aquarium. Also when the main lights go off certain timers turn on other lights for night time viewing called moon lights. This is just another way to try to simulate the natural enviroment these creatures are use to. I will say this if you do buy one of those timers from coralife consider having a backup incase the timer part on it malfunctions. After about 7 months the timer part went bad and I ended getting a digital one from home depot. The 20 bucks spent on the digital one was better spent than the 30 on the coralife unit. HTH
Old 10-18-2005, 12:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

o0o thanks for the reply lemon. Hmm i dont know waht to do now, the only reason i wanted to get the corallife one was cause of the timers. But if they break...wahts the point? and plus right now i have a surge protector from home depot cost like 25 bucks. Its good think i should just keep it?
Old 10-18-2005, 12:14 AM   #4

If you want to keep the surge protector that is completly okay. If you want the conveniance of automatic lighting than by all means get one of those timers from the hardware store and put it on the end of the surge protector, program it for what time you want your lights to turn on and off and then just plug you lights into the timer. All the rest of the electrical devices that need to stay on just plug directly into the surge protector. IE air pumps, filters, water pumps, skimers, you name it. All the stuff that needs to stay on does with the conveniance of auto lights.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmm not a bad option either thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 01:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
I've heard about the Coralife outlets causing electrical fires. Research them a bit before buying one.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

...wow pretty negative stuff about the outlet i think imma just keep what i have now then thanks for the info guys
Old 10-18-2005, 05:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ght=fire+house

I'll say only this more: I threw mine in the garbage faster than you can shake a stick.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I'm heading out right now to the hardware store to replace my Coralife power center.

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com