Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-07-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to ferretttt Send a message via Yahoo to ferretttt
Corals and lighting

Everyone is saying to go with MH lighting. I have a PC light and I am getting about 3-4 WPG right now. I also have a wave action with different power heads(My Gorgonian loves it).

Is it really nessessary for all corals to have a MH lighting system?

Eric "FerretBoy" T
ferretttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
MH lighting just gives you more options. I also have 260w PC (4.7 wpg) and can keep just about any low-medium light coral. There are a couple of high light corals that wouldn’t make it though. (Acropora, Frogspawn & certain Leathers & anemones are some examples)

Your Gorgonian is thriving because most Gorgonians only need low-medium light with Medium to Strong water flow.

I think it comes down to budget for most people since MH is typically twice the cost of PC. There are plenty of beautiful corals that thrive in low-medium lighting and PC fits that bill nicely IMO.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I love my MH lights. So does my power company.
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
IMO MH lighting is only necessary if your planning to do sps corals and clams. Most, if not all, other corals do fine under PC lighting. Even some sps corals do well under PC lighting. You also have to take into consideration depth, not just wpg, when thinking about what lights to have. If it's a deep tank, MH's are gonna penetrate better but a shallow tank, PC work fine.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, corals, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com