Could my tank use a koralia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got the 240 gph model for 18 off amazon, it's installed and working extremely well, all my plants are waving in the current, kicked up a bunch of crud almost instantly..

I was going to order the 1,150 gph and it's $40. Not sure if it's big enough or not. Gonna wait a week or two for it and see how it works with the filter being cleaned out.

This thread really intrigues me. I am building a 3d background and have a fear of having dead spots. I hope there is more conversation about the effects of powerheads

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I realized that most of the annoying particles is after I feed flake food. So I ordered NLS pellets today and should have them tomorrow. See if that helps. I also added 100 micron felt pads to the filters, in addition to what I have. I do regular gravel vacs with my PWC, half tank one week and other half the next. I always have so much crap and my gravel beds 2-3" deep. I'm gonna scoop out about an inch. Wonder if I get a koralia that it will get some of the stuff deep down and push it up?

I have a 29, running a ac 50 and penguin 200, there was no lack if flow from the filters, I just hated the look of poo sitting on the sand bed, it seems to be making a difference, no more crap sitting idle in the tank and water is pretty clear so the filters are getting all the debris.. I'd say that 1250 is going to move some serious water.. May be better with 2 500-600's??? Opposite ends creating a push towards filter intakes??

Getting 2 smaller ones makes more sense. I don't want my fishes shoved in a corner from the current lol! That's another issue I'm having is diatom algae. I think it's because my gravel is so deep and I want to switch to PFS quite badly. I think it looks MUCH nicer and looks easier to keep clean. Does the koralia move the sand a around a lot or no? I'm assuming angling it just right does the trick...

Getting 2 smaller ones makes more sense. I don't want my fishes shoved in a corner from the current lol! That's another issue I'm having is diatom algae. I think it's because my gravel is so deep and I want to switch to PFS quite badly. I think it looks MUCH nicer and looks easier to keep clean. Does the koralia move the sand a around a lot or no? I'm assuming angling it just right does the trick...
my current almost looks like it's to much but the fish arnt acting any differently, I snuck a peek this morning and the barbs were still sleeping out in the current.. If it looks like it's disturbing them too much at night I'll put it on my light timer, than again I feel like my Pleco is out all night crapping and kicking up settled crap... Hmm..the thing with pool filter sand is most stuff sits right on top.. When I clean I just wave the vacuum around to lift detrius, the occasional shallow plunge but not to deep, I also have a 2 layered substrate for a decently planted tank.. I am very pleased with the overall look if pfs vs. gravel.. I have flourite underneath and the nuts that have come up to the top almost look like natural leaf litter on a sandy pond bottom, pretty cool!!

Is it PFS you have? I know with sand, you can tell where the "dead spots" are, because it's easily visible. With gravel, especially my darker 'natural' color, can't tell at all. If I decide to switch to sand, I'm going to have to do it with keeping the fish in and gradually take out layers of gravel over a weeks time and suck everything up as not to pollute to much. Then add the sand. That's my only way at the time.

Also, one thing I don't understand too clearly is what the koralia, or similar, do... It's basically just meant to keep all the poo and any leftover food from settling right? So it stays suspended until the filter sucks it up?

Is it PFS you have? I know with sand, you can tell where the "dead spots" are, because it's easily visible. With gravel, especially my darker 'natural' color, can't tell at all. If I decide to switch to sand, I'm going to have to do it with keeping the fish in and gradually take out layers of gravel over a weeks time and suck everything up as not to pollute to much. Then add the sand. That's my only way at the time. Also, one thing I don't understand too clearly is what the koralia, or similar, do... It's basically just meant to keep all the poo and any leftover food from settling right? So it stays suspended until the filter sucks it up?
yes I have grade 2 quartz pfs, it's the larger variety.. And yes the dead spots are quite visible, hey look! A mound of poo! Better get move water moving there:) I think that method will work, I broke my whole tank down to change to pfs, I was also using flourite and planting so I had little choice.. The trick is to make it as stress free for the fish and try not to spike parameters with all the crap beneath.. It seems as though power heads are mainly used in saltwater tanks where constant current is a must, they're also popular in planted tanks to keep fertilizer rich water flowing over leaves and stems, also used in tall tanks where flow could be reduced towards the bottom or in a native river tank where added current is needed!

Yeah and I don't have planted tanks. Yet, anyway. I used to many years ago. I miss it and I don't at the same time haha! I was originally wanting extra movement to get suspended stuff out of the water, which didn't happen all the time... And kicking buried waste out from under the gravel that I can't get with my siphon well, keeping my nitrates up and causing diatoms. My BN may get upset with me lol. Maybe what I'll do is slowly switch to sand and see if that helps any before I get a koralia. If I have to or WANT too (lol), I'll be sure to get 2 smaller ones!

Does he stir anything up? I've also got 2 pictus that can go terribly nuts and I'm slightly worried they'll kick up too much sand and get stuck in the filter. From what I've read and watched on YouTube, it seems to be heavy enough to just sink right back down. I've also been told to stir the sand up to prevent gas pockets. How often do you do that?

Does he stir anything up? I've also got 2 pictus that can go terribly nuts and I'm slightly worried they'll kick up too much sand and get stuck in the filter. From what I've read and watched on YouTube, it seems to be heavy enough to just sink right back down. I've also been told to stir the sand up to prevent gas pockets. How often do you do that?
oh yahh.. When he goes for a run it's a wake of particulates behind him, like a horse down the dusty trail! The beauty of grade 2 pfs.. It's small enough to be a good sand substitute but big enough it won't get kicked up and you can even vacuum it with light suction and it won't get sucked out of the tank.. Will never get close to your filter. I have my penguin intake about 2" off the substrate, not a problem.. I think the gas pockets thing is more a myth than actuality.. Every couple months just probe the substrate and stir it a bit and I can't see it ever becoming a problem.. It's good to stir up sand a but anyways, stuff will get trapped in the first inch or so..

That's good to know, thanks! Today I'm going to scoop out an inch or so of gravel and see how that is. Thinking I'll switch to sand in a month or two maybe. I'll keep ya posted! Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom