Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got the 240 gph model for 18 off amazon, it's installed and working extremely well, all my plants are waving in the current, kicked up a bunch of crud almost instantly..

Old 04-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Really! What size tank do you have?

Old 04-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was going to order the 1,150 gph and it's $40. Not sure if it's big enough or not. Gonna wait a week or two for it and see how it works with the filter being cleaned out.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

This thread really intrigues me. I am building a 3d background and have a fear of having dead spots. I hope there is more conversation about the effects of powerheads

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-23-2014, 02:34 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So I realized that most of the annoying particles is after I feed flake food. So I ordered NLS pellets today and should have them tomorrow. See if that helps. I also added 100 micron felt pads to the filters, in addition to what I have. I do regular gravel vacs with my PWC, half tank one week and other half the next. I always have so much crap and my gravel beds 2-3" deep. I'm gonna scoop out about an inch. Wonder if I get a koralia that it will get some of the stuff deep down and push it up?
Old 04-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 29, running a ac 50 and penguin 200, there was no lack if flow from the filters, I just hated the look of poo sitting on the sand bed, it seems to be making a difference, no more crap sitting idle in the tank and water is pretty clear so the filters are getting all the debris.. I'd say that 1250 is going to move some serious water.. May be better with 2 500-600's??? Opposite ends creating a push towards filter intakes??
Old 04-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Getting 2 smaller ones makes more sense. I don't want my fishes shoved in a corner from the current lol! That's another issue I'm having is diatom algae. I think it's because my gravel is so deep and I want to switch to PFS quite badly. I think it looks MUCH nicer and looks easier to keep clean. Does the koralia move the sand a around a lot or no? I'm assuming angling it just right does the trick...
Old 04-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyBusiness View Post
Getting 2 smaller ones makes more sense. I don't want my fishes shoved in a corner from the current lol! That's another issue I'm having is diatom algae. I think it's because my gravel is so deep and I want to switch to PFS quite badly. I think it looks MUCH nicer and looks easier to keep clean. Does the koralia move the sand a around a lot or no? I'm assuming angling it just right does the trick...
my current almost looks like it's to much but the fish arnt acting any differently, I snuck a peek this morning and the barbs were still sleeping out in the current.. If it looks like it's disturbing them too much at night I'll put it on my light timer, than again I feel like my Pleco is out all night crapping and kicking up settled crap... Hmm..the thing with pool filter sand is most stuff sits right on top.. When I clean I just wave the vacuum around to lift detrius, the occasional shallow plunge but not to deep, I also have a 2 layered substrate for a decently planted tank.. I am very pleased with the overall look if pfs vs. gravel.. I have flourite underneath and the nuts that have come up to the top almost look like natural leaf litter on a sandy pond bottom, pretty cool!!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is it PFS you have? I know with sand, you can tell where the "dead spots" are, because it's easily visible. With gravel, especially my darker 'natural' color, can't tell at all. If I decide to switch to sand, I'm going to have to do it with keeping the fish in and gradually take out layers of gravel over a weeks time and suck everything up as not to pollute to much. Then add the sand. That's my only way at the time.

Also, one thing I don't understand too clearly is what the koralia, or similar, do... It's basically just meant to keep all the poo and any leftover food from settling right? So it stays suspended until the filter sucks it up?
Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyBusiness View Post
Is it PFS you have? I know with sand, you can tell where the "dead spots" are, because it's easily visible. With gravel, especially my darker 'natural' color, can't tell at all. If I decide to switch to sand, I'm going to have to do it with keeping the fish in and gradually take out layers of gravel over a weeks time and suck everything up as not to pollute to much. Then add the sand. That's my only way at the time. Also, one thing I don't understand too clearly is what the koralia, or similar, do... It's basically just meant to keep all the poo and any leftover food from settling right? So it stays suspended until the filter sucks it up?
yes I have grade 2 quartz pfs, it's the larger variety.. And yes the dead spots are quite visible, hey look! A mound of poo! Better get move water moving there I think that method will work, I broke my whole tank down to change to pfs, I was also using flourite and planting so I had little choice.. The trick is to make it as stress free for the fish and try not to spike parameters with all the crap beneath.. It seems as though power heads are mainly used in saltwater tanks where constant current is a must, they're also popular in planted tanks to keep fertilizer rich water flowing over leaves and stems, also used in tall tanks where flow could be reduced towards the bottom or in a native river tank where added current is needed!

Tags
koralia, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com