Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah and I don't have planted tanks. Yet, anyway. I used to many years ago. I miss it and I don't at the same time haha! I was originally wanting extra movement to get suspended stuff out of the water, which didn't happen all the time... And kicking buried waste out from under the gravel that I can't get with my siphon well, keeping my nitrates up and causing diatoms. My BN may get upset with me lol. Maybe what I'll do is slowly switch to sand and see if that helps any before I get a koralia. If I have to or WANT too (lol), I'll be sure to get 2 smaller ones!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Pleco will love the sand!! Mine sure does!!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Does he stir anything up? I've also got 2 pictus that can go terribly nuts and I'm slightly worried they'll kick up too much sand and get stuck in the filter. From what I've read and watched on YouTube, it seems to be heavy enough to just sink right back down. I've also been told to stir the sand up to prevent gas pockets. How often do you do that?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyBusiness View Post
Does he stir anything up? I've also got 2 pictus that can go terribly nuts and I'm slightly worried they'll kick up too much sand and get stuck in the filter. From what I've read and watched on YouTube, it seems to be heavy enough to just sink right back down. I've also been told to stir the sand up to prevent gas pockets. How often do you do that?
oh yahh.. When he goes for a run it's a wake of particulates behind him, like a horse down the dusty trail! The beauty of grade 2 pfs.. It's small enough to be a good sand substitute but big enough it won't get kicked up and you can even vacuum it with light suction and it won't get sucked out of the tank.. Will never get close to your filter. I have my penguin intake about 2" off the substrate, not a problem.. I think the gas pockets thing is more a myth than actuality.. Every couple months just probe the substrate and stir it a bit and I can't see it ever becoming a problem.. It's good to stir up sand a but anyways, stuff will get trapped in the first inch or so..
Old 04-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's good to know, thanks! Today I'm going to scoop out an inch or so of gravel and see how that is. Thinking I'll switch to sand in a month or two maybe. I'll keep ya posted! Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anytime!! Good luck !!!

Tags
koralia, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com