Crack or chip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwaterfishgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
K in the process of taking the reef apart i believe a LR hit the side and caused a tiny itsy bitsy crack. I was polishing the glass and noticed it. I can feel it with my finger nail.

Now what?

Where exactly is it? How big is the tank? Is it glass or acrylic? I'm guessing glass?

Yea I would like to see a pic, but any sign of a crack is never a good sign. The glass will always have constant pressure from the water and I personally would always be worried about that crack turning into something bigger.

Other option is to google "how to fix a crack in an aquairum" I saw some good videos on youtube and a few good reads.

Yea I would like to see a pic, but any sign of a crack is never a good sign. The glass will always have constant pressure from the water and I personally would always be worried about that crack turning into something bigger.

Other option is to google "how to fix a crack in an aquairum" I saw some good videos on youtube and a few good reads.

I agree, this is a rather lengthily fix and requires a lot. I like to think of a crack in a glass tank as a sniper focusing in on a target. The tank pressure will focus in on that one weak spot and push and push until in eventually fails. I would look into those fixes provided by cerulean_blue. Hope this helps!

And it is on the front of the tank? Don't cry about this minor chip.....if all else fails, just buy a used tank and they are cheap!

BillD said:
Is it a crack or a chip/gouge?

Its a crack thats less than half a cm. i measured it. I told my husband we will be watching it and recording its length in our water analysis book.

He said he spent 500 on the tank and stand. He sooo was ripped off. If i wasnt tired id already been at the doors of that **** lfs asking them how they sleep at night!!!

500 on a 30??? I spent 45 on mine. For a hundard I got a sump, stand overflow box, the works! All used! I would highly recommend getting used the next time you are searching around. I would say for now just keep an eye on the crack. I would researching methods on how to fill in that crack with some type of opoxy.

xtra51 said:
500 on a 30??? I spent 45 on mine. For a hundard I got a sump, stand overflow box, the works! All used! I would highly recommend getting used the next time you are searching around. I would say for now just keep an eye on the crack. I would researching methods on how to fill in that crack with some type of opoxy.

Yes... My husband bought it. He was ripped off. Knows NOTHING about tanks, craigslist.... But i love his thought;)

Yes... My husband bought it. He was ripped off. Knows NOTHING about tanks, craigslist.... But i love his thought;)

haha just sell him and get a better tank :ROFLMAO: I'm glad you know about craigslist and are aware there are used tanks out there.

My mom had a bad leak in her 55 gal. She had to drain it completely. Allow it to dry, and then take some nontoxic clear silicone, seal the leak very well. Smooth it out, allow it to dry for at least 48 hours, then test it with water (if it's leaking). She had a leak in the corner of her tank, in the seal. She now houses several fish in that same tank, with no issues of leaks. ;) GL!

Jenn27 said:
My mom had a bad leak in her 55 gal. She had to drain it completely. Allow it to dry, and then take some nontoxic clear silicone, seal the leak very well. Smooth it out, allow it to dry for at least 48 hours, then test it with water (if it's leaking). She had a leak in the corner of her tank, in the seal. She now houses several fish in that same tank, with no issues of leaks. ;) GL!

Thanks i may try that if the measurements get bigger.

Back
Top Bottom