Cracked !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angellove78

Aquarium Advice Addict
So cool! NOT! So, I got a new bulb for my light on my 10 gallon yesterday. Was watching my Betta and I caught this line going from the bottom corner up to almost the middle of my tank. Thought, oh man, what did my little girl (2 years old) hit it with. Scratched my nail on it to see how deep it is. Can't feel nothing on the outside. So I try on the inside. It's pretty deep. Great! (Thumb!) Seems like a stress crack. But, knowing my little girl she probably hit it with my truck keys she was swinging around. Anyways, My question is: will it crack more if I caulk it on the crack and us it for a hospital tank? I'm buying a new one today. Or should I just buy 2, 10 gallon? I'll keep the broken one too. Cause I know I'll come across another one and just replace that side, in time. I hate to throw a tank out when it can be fixed.

IF you wanted, you could silicone a large piece of thin glass to the inside of the tank over the crack. I have seen this done by a buddy, never tried it myself. However, my friend has done this with success. He makes the piece of glass 1-1.5 inches larger each way and silicones the poop out of it. Clamps it for 24hrs and then does a leak test.

So far they have all held. Might be worth it to have an extra tank.

IF you wanted, you could silicone a large piece of thin glass to the inside of the tank over the crack. I have seen this done by a buddy, never tried it myself. However, my friend has done this with success. He makes the piece of glass 1-1.5 inches larger each way and silicones the poop out of it. Clamps it for 24hrs and then does a leak test.

So far they have all held. Might be worth it to have an extra tank.
That sounds like it would work. I might try that with that tank. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom